Monday, July 22, 2013

Guardian Angel


There was a lovely Guardian Angel icon
blessed in my far-away church recently.
 
Guardian Angels are very real.
Fr. Stephen Freeman has a wonderful article about
Guardian Angels that I read some years back.
See here.
*
A story of my own:
When I was fairly young,
probably 2 or so years old,
a cousin and I were having a good time together...
I am sure we were laughing and goofing around
as the young do.
Apparently we were playing a game called
'walking backwards'
and the adults got distracted,
a door was left open and I fell headlong down,
as in headfirst,
down a wooden staircase with flimsy rails
and a hard cement floor.
My Mom heard me screaming as I fell.
All I had was a slightly cut lip.
My Mom said my Guardian Angel caught me.
*
I remember those stairs well and that cement was
well, the hardest coldest floor I've ever known.
*
And from hearing that story since I was very young,
I have known that my Guardian Angel saved me.
*
Prayer to one's Guardian Angel:

O angel of God, my holy guardian, given to me from heaven, enlighten me this day, and save me from all evil. Instruct me in doing good deeds, and set me on the path of salvation. Amen.

O angel of Christ, holy guardian and protector of my soul and body, forgive me everything wherein I have offended you every day of my life, and protect me from all influence and temptation of the Evil One. May I never again anger God by my sins. Pray for me to the Lord, that He may make me worthy of the grace of the All-Holy Trinity, and of the blessed Mother of God, and of all the saints. Amen.
(found here).
*
Canon to Guardian Angel found here.
*
In a lot of icons of the Guardian Angel
they have small pieces of cloth near their ears,
the icon pictured above.
A monastic explained to me that those
signify that the Angel is quick to hear.
A monastic also comforted me,
since I have an icon that does not have this,
by saying,
that part is merely hidden.
A small thing perhaps,
but isn't it wonderful to realize that
we are not alone and
that our Guardian Angel is with us
and that this Angel is to help us with
good thoughts?

No comments: