Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Loving the beginning Stitches in September School Blanket

The September School Blanket is
now being sewn together!
I began with two small squares:

I did some quick measuring
with a tape measure
to get about a twin size bed in width
and began the stitching. 

I love how the white stands out,
bringing the different coloured squares together!

I was talking to a friend at church
the other day about stitches
for this blanket.
She taught me the whip stitch
which my best example of is the first picture.
So after doing some of this,
I decided I wanted to make X shaped stitches
as I thought it would look fun
for a blanket for a young boy.
So I've done a lot of these also.
I don't know if there is a name
for this stitch;
the closest one I found was
herringbone stitch
which is not exactly what I am doing here.

Actually,
I am not that good at making even stitches.
And I am OK with that.
Made me think of a bit I read in Elder Paisios' book
that talked about old monastics who lived simply
and did not worry about everything being 'just so'... 

And I thought of a delightful
conversation I had with an older woman
at a friend's house
who understood that I would do things
a bit differently and told me how she made a
sweater with Cross shaped stitches when
she was trying to do the purl stitch and that
it ended up being a beautiful sweater.
*
I may not be into fancy yarn, intricate patterns and I have
not even fully mastered the stockinette stitch yet,
but you know?
I am so excited about this blanket! 
I think the bright colours and fun
stitching are going to be perfect for this young boy
who loves lots of colours.
*
Actually, the fun stitching to me seems fun like
Pirates or for a perfect fort cover... :)
I am so relieved to find that I like the sewing too!
It is really a quiet calm way to spend some time...
{Ravelry here}
*
So on to books ~
Mr. Husband and I are still loving this book:

Everyday Saints.
So many of my friends have read it and
we are all so sad when it is done!
Mr. Husband and I are now on the last forth of the book...
I am still reading it out loud at night while
Mr. Husband does dishes...
 
I am still reading Edith Schaeffer's book
on Hidden Art of Homemaking
and it is really lovely.
I especially appreciate how she encourages us to
do something, no matter how small and
that beauty can be made with frugality
and creativity, no matter
where we are or how
humble our little abode.
*
What are you creating and reading?
Yarn Along with us!

18 comments:

Juliana said...

I really like how the blanket is coming along! The uneven stitches kind of make the blanket for me--I like how it has a kind of shabby-chic thing going on.

I think you could call the X stitches cross stitches, really.

Anonymous said...

Love this blanket. I saw it and thought..must make one. LOL

Donna said...

What a pretty blanket! I like how you are sewing the blocks together and how the colors look.

Anonymous said...

Love your blanket and the way you needle the block together. Cheerful:)

Anonymous said...

sorry for the typo, block = blocks:)

Shirley-Ann said...

That blanket is so cute! So bright and cheery. I like the look of the books you are reading. I think I am going to have to make a note of them and add them to my ever growing 'To Read' list.

MamaBirdEmma said...

Your blanket is looking great!

Joy said...

Very cute blanket! My kids' favorite blankets are the mama-knitted ones. :)

Michelle said...

Your blanket is going to look great!

Casey said...

Your blanket is going to be amazing!

Reinventing Mother said...

You are so correct! The process is so important and not how anyone else feels about it! It is yours!

Mary G said...

That Edith Schaefer book is a real treat! I used it when I wrote my book about nurturing creativity: In His Image (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0979846986?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=0979846986&linkCode=xm2&tag=stathanablog-20). I can't believe such a great book (Schaefer's not mine!) is oop!

karen said...

I love the colors in the blanket and how exciting to be at the sewing part, why you are nearly done!!

Tonya Gunn said...

I love the hand stitching.

elflyn said...

Sweet blanket. I think the white stitching really does bring the whole thing together.
Have a wonderful week.

Liz Luscomb said...

I love the colors you have chosen! I can't wait to see the finished blanket!! :)

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

The blanket looks super, and the fact it has been created with such love and prayer for its intended recipient shows clearly!

Anonymous said...

This looks to become an incredibly cosy blanket! Love the colours :)