Monday, January 11, 2021

5th Day of Christmas: On the Mend But Resting, I Promise :)











(I have no idea whose car this is, but my Husband saw the
first 3 letters, JRT and immediately said: look, Tolkien!
(of course his intials are JRRT to be exact...:) )







This morning I woke up knowing two things
1. I was feeling a lot better with the cold
2.  I was sad I missed church yesterday
***
To help the sad feeling go (it was a feeling, not fully reality if that makes sense)
(of course I am biased as it is my beloved church in Ottawa)
but REALLY it's worth the time to listen.
The song God is with us and everything after it is just so wonderful,
I may just listen again tomorrow :) ...
So then we had breakfast...
and Mr Husband and I enjoyed the last of the Polish pastry for breakfast...
After breakfast and listening to the prayer service,
I listened to this podcast towards lunch prep time,
I don't know the podcast well but I have been reading Sean's writings since
the summer and they are really encouraging reading. 
I really recommend taking a look at Sean's blog!
***
Lunch: I had more chicken soup, more dumplings.
Husband had leftover lamb, rice, carrots and
we both had at least one mandarin orange. 
I really LOVE winter for it's citrus... 
***
So afternoon, I was tired and rested a good 2 hours.
See, resting. Yep. Need it. 
I have a feeling I will need a whole week of rest!
I did walk today though, which is also good.
***
A friend sent me a lovely gift of a beautiful necklace and earrings that
she made, along with a lovely balm.
It's funny, her package went from the east coast to Kansas and then
back East to me here in NJ.  I thought this was pretty funny...
***
Well...I did get one load of laundry done,
two or three more to do...
***
It's funny, when my Husband and I were dating
(long distance, hundreds of emails, phone calls, video chats)
he told me what drove him was learning and I told him 
what drove me was beauty.
I told him today I think it is beauty + the desire to feed people.
I was looking at a cookbook today (actually I looked at 2) and I just
wanted to bake right then and feed people.
Of course, I also wish there was not a pandemic so I could feed people!
***
But at least I can feed my Husband and occasionally others. 
I baked up the cream biscuits that are in both Marion Cunningham's 
Breakfast Book and Lost Recipes Cookbook.
(I've been making them for years, here, here, and here)
***
***
I am slowly reading this book, Bread and Water, Wine and Oil
and I am learning a lot, I guess you could say,
but also seeing how far I have to go. 
Some really powerful pages on the topic of anxiety in early part of the book,
starting about page 20 or so.... Really powerful but also really challenging.
Transformation in the Christian life I find quite difficult but
at the same time, we are told not to despair. 
So I will keep reading and grabbing my journal to record things
(my Husband has already asked me if I am going to write the whole 
book in my journal! :) ) 
***
Lord have mercy...
***
I am grateful for these days. 
 For the reminder to live in the present moment 
(in the book I am reading slowly)
***
May God have mercy on us and save us!

3 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I'm glad you're feeling better.
Isn't browsing through cookbooks a pleasant thing to do? Then to get enthused about actually making something new?
I better quit baking for a while because my blood pressure is way too high even though I don't eat much salty foods (like chips or such). I want to avoid having to take medication so I'll do what I can.

Heather said...

I am glad that you are feeling better Elizabeth! I will have to try those cream biscuits!

Martha said...

S0 good you're feeling better! I finished off the last of our lamb roast from Nativity yesterday. Lamb is so special and scrumptious! I also made biscuits to go with eggs and sausage. And I've been having many cups of milky tea like your lately.