Sunday, January 10, 2021

4th Day of Christmas: unexpected head cold and gallons of tea


The above picture I had emailed to myself and then snoozed till this year
to remind myself of a way I liked doing my huge white tray 
(that you see goes past the table!) 
It is cute but I am glad now that I found the pottery one with scalloped edging. 
***
So before 2 AM I woke suddenly, feeling a gigantic tickle like feeling 
in my nose.  Within in very few minutes my nose exploded,
I used a million Kleenexes and realized I had come down with
a flourishing head cold - and so suddenly! 
 I emailed my Husband (so he would read it when he woke up)
that we would not be going to church as the rule is
'if you are unwell, please stay home' esp. because of the 
pandemic we are all continuing to live through.
(I've had lots of head colds, and this is one; I can't think that is 
the dread virus as my only symptoms are sneezing and blowing my nose,
no fever, no throat problems, just a raging dripping nose)...




So we stayed home, I slept as much as I could, getting up about 9 AM and
then began my deliberate fight against this cold.
I got a half gallon of chicken soup from the freezer.
I got out all the cold tea stuff. 
Actually I got the teas for sickness out before 2 AM and drank a whole
pot of tea before returning to bed.


We watched my church in Ottawa, they will always be dear to me!



I am most determined to 'kick this cold to the kerb' as I like to say!
I have drank a LOT of tea, many pots...and chicken soup and the
leftover dumplings we got yesterday... 
***
Mary, you asked about the books we got:

Here's the info from a WSJ article:

When illness forced C.S. Lewis, the celebrated author and Christian apologist, into a nursing home, he wanted his secretary to retrieve some books. “You know which two books you must bring me?” he asked. “Yes,” his secretary replied. The books were E.R. Eddison’s “The Worm of Ouroboros” (1922), a heroic romance that Lewis absorbed as a young man, and “The Aeneid,” Virgil’s epic about the founding of ancient Rome.  
Found HERE (part is subscription only which I don't have).
We had gotten our copy on Albris but I don't know if they have one now or not.
***
The Tolkien Library book was announced HERE.
We bought our copy HERE.


A few years back we met a Tolkien scholar who recommended this (above copy shown)
edition because of an essay by the editor.  


I got the above at Tea and Sympathy and gave them to myself for Christmas. :)


Well, I am hoping I can get through this cold
in a few days.  It was a bummer not to be able to go to church,
but clearly rest was needed... 
***
I am still working on replacing my Christmas Spode, one thing was shipped today... 
UPDATED to add that I just ordered 4 salad plates and 2 dinner plates.  
I think I still need 1 salad plate to make 8 (I only had 4) but 7 is great
and I have some smaller butter plates.  I also ordered 4 berry bowls 
so I think I will nearly have a good set of 8 (save the salad plates)...
I used up all my birthday money to do so but feel like I am buying these
with the faith and hope that one day again we can have a full table
for a Christmas meal....
***
May God bless us, save us and have mercy on us..

5 comments:

Heather said...

Hi Elizabeth! I just realized that you had a blog! I will have to peruse your older posts! I am sorry that you are unwell! We too stayed home from church today. My husband came home from work early yesterday feeling unwell. He went to urgent care and it is just a respiratory cold and not the dreaded virus. I hope that you are well soon!
Love, Heather
sweetpickle02 on Instagram 😊

Martha said...

Hope you feel better soon dear!

Elizabethd said...

So sorry to hear you have a horrid cold. Look after yourself and take rest. Praying for you to feel well soon.

Granny Marigold said...

Sorry you caught a cold but thankful it's not the dreaded virus. Take care of yourself.

Pilgrim said...

Hope you are not too sick to enjoy reading. Sometimes it’s nice to have an excuse to rest.