Monday, January 04, 2021

Monday: two days before Christmas Eve = BUSY










Well, HELLO!
Whew. Lord have mercy.
I got all the presents wrapped and bagged.
Then I got all the baked goods bagged and in tins.
I prepared three things for mailing.
My Husband graciously, for dinner, ate chips,
made himself guacamole, had granola and salad
while I finished off the soup and ate the last English Muffin
(which he was
going to have until he heard I was going to).
I managed to get the living room picked up.
The dining room table no longer has baked goods on it.
***
You already know this, but I summed up this past month today writing this:

Living in a world with 2 Christmases (Dec 25 and Jan 7) is pretty intense. While we fast through till January 7 Christmas (that means no meat and dairy basically), I baked for both (and for St Nicholas days too!) and, with the pandemic, my freezer was more full than it normally is (we have an upright freezer in our garage) so I could not really bake in advance. Usually by November at the latest, I am doing Christmas and St Nicholas day baking! So this December, it had a LOT of baking. For January Christmas it was mainly turtle bars (Caramel brownies some with walnuts some without) and brownies with chocolate covered dried cherries. They are all prepared now and ready to go! I think I will need the 12 days of Christmas to recover LOL. Though to be honest, I am already planning on roasting a chicken (!!!) early next week and making some special cherry and pecan yeast bread to have next week continue Christmas... and of course I have other culinary dreams as well (like a belated Christmas dinner with turkey...) ❤

***
Tomorrow, crazily, I am going to church new calendar for pre-Theophany liturgy.
But I know it is beyond wonderful to be able to go to church so I am going.
And, DV, bringing some goodies to give to our local priest
to give to our very special candle desk man!
***
I kept telling my Mom (I talk to her usually daily) that
this year it was even more meaningful to do gifts for others because
everyone needs more encouragement than usual.
***
Well, I better get on to bed. I find I often only have time to write here
at night.  I may not have kids, but my life is still quite demanding
and my Husband working-from-home means more work in terms of meals
and such things.
Well, thank God.  And thank God that in His mercy I have everything
ready... now we just pray for a safe virus-free Christmas
(of course we social distance and wear masks at church!)
***
Lord have mercy on us!

5 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I'm amazed at what you all get done. So many last minute things that need doing. Everything looks great.

Pilgrim said...

I do appreciate your sharing these celebrations, especially because i have just been to vespers twice since the slowdown began mid-March. It helps me feel some connection to the church calendar, besides my daily readings. We are on the new calendar, though.

Angie said...

Celebrating 2 Christmases can be challenging, I admire your determination and hard work! So strange we struggle with the same problems during this pandemic all over the world. Keep healthy and God have mercy on us!

Pom Pom said...

I hope it's all fun, merry, and meaningful!

Becki said...

All of your baking makes my mouth water. ;^)