Friday, January 22, 2021

Friday (quiet...)






My whole mind is towards the small Christmas dinner
this Sunday,
unlike any Christmas dinners I have ever done all 
because of the pandemic.
Sitting at separate tables.
It about kills me.
But there is no choice in it for me
and so I am just praying and doing my best to make it a
special night even though nothing, right now, is the same. 
I read books today.
I felt the quiet that comes when I am feeling 
exhausted but still have a lot to slowly do.
Today I baked the 3 very large sweet potatoes, peeled them 
and mashed them.
I am using one of my last bags (I think I have 3 more and those
I am saving for muffins) cranberries to go with the sweet potatoes
and using canned cranberry sauce for the sauce as I want
my muffins more than I want homemade sauce. 
The turkey breast is thawing in the fridge. Slowly. 
The stuffing is in the fridge, waiting. 
(it's leftover from Thanksgiving.)
So I bought minced pies, tiny ones, that I guess are a dessert
and I am not sure when/how to serve them,
but I have a feeling they will be done after the meal,
lightly warmed.  
I got them at Tea and Sympathy in NYC on my 44th birthday
and put them in the freezer for this very meal,
as the Mother who is coming loves English things.
I had two of the vegan cranberry muffins and I just love them,
the understated sweetness, the glorious tartness of the cranberry,
with good hot dark black tea, as much as 3 or 4 cups drunk quickly 
while savouring the one muffin,
the glorious perfectly moist vegan cranberry muffin. 
***
I am learning to pace myself in things,
I guess, but it's hard. 
I can't wait to bake another 2 loaves of fruit and nut bread
but I know I need to wait till next week,
as this Sunday will be quite enough for me to do.
***
Well, that's all I have for today.
***
I hope you are well.
***
May God have mercy on us and save us. 

 

3 comments:

Chy said...

I'm sure Sunday will work out just fine. You do so much planning and I'm glad to hear your pacing yourself too. Enjoy!

X Chy

Elizabethd said...

We serve mince pies as a dessert, often warmed and with a spoonful of cream...delicious!
I'm sure your dinner will be delightful even if you have to sit apart, the fellowship will still be there.

Granny Marigold said...

Your menu sounds delightful and I think that in spite of the unusual seating your guests will enjoy the meal and fellowship.