Saturday, February 02, 2019

The good thing is that sinus colds do not last forever









Well, last night's sleep was pretty rough. 
First I could not get warm, though I did not have a fever (I checked) 
and finally I got warm... but it was a poor night's sleep and I had a lot of sinus pain
by the morning ... decongestants helped as well as sleep later that morning....
Now it is night again, and my cold is still flourishing, to quote Suzy in L'Engle's
book, The Young Unicorns
Thank God that my Husband is very much on the mend and was able to 
spoil me today, heating up the chili I made yesterday and getting me tea. 
I did not get my cornbread but we did have frozen baguettes and my Husband
heated up one of those to have with the chili, which was nice.
I texted with a dear friend about giving 2 pretty pieces of costume jewelry that
were part of what my +Aunt Karen had and that I got on my birthday...
I took all that I thought I could wear myself or give away as gifts.
So this necklace and bracelet will be given away soon,
I have another pretty faux pearl necklace that is going to a local
friend's daughter and I have more to go through later to give away.
The wonderful thing is that, God willing, I have time to do this.
My Husband went to liturgy this morning and vespers tonight,
I stayed home, being as I thought I would, quite tired and in need of rest. 
So I have been reading more Christmas books by Miss Read,
the latest being an omnibus that I just love and was given this Christmas!
I do love Christmas so very much. 
It's been such a busy time, we have not read all of our Christmas cards yet
and have not sent out most of our letters that need mailing! 
I hope to start on this soon, we did prepare a few... 
I can see that this week is going to be a quiet one, 
as I recover from this cold and such.
But it's nice to have time to read and I have really needed a rest. 
***
A particularly lovely moment was this morning...
I made myself oatmeal and craisins with raw honey (added after heating)
 in the microwave as quick as I could
so I could take my cold medicine and afterwards I fell asleep on the couch,
before my Husband left for liturgy...
Later I wrote about it on social media:
"I was already back sleeping on the couch when he left for liturgy
 and woke up to sunshine and that the liturgy was going on and 
that it must be so pretty in church. 
The medicine is helping the sinus pain. I will keep resting today, 
I know that rest will help "kick this cold to the curb" as I am apt to say. 
Right now I feel like I am the one on the curb but your prayers 
are helping and very appreciated!"
***
I often forget what it is like to wake to sunshine in one's room
and the feeling of all being right in the world...
sometimes when I get sick like this, with a non-serious aliment but
temporarily impairing, I come back to myself and
remember the world as one in which, 
no matter how much heartbreak is in the world, 
that there is golden sunlight above the dark clouds,
that God's love will never be defeated by darkness and 
that God's mercy and light are stronger than the most 
dark, dreary or dismal day.
It is hard to remember this but I must hold on to this.
as God's light, love and goodness will never be overcome
and His Church, the gates of Hades will not overcome... 
I have much to think about this deep truth and I pray that God 
will show me His love and help me follow Him all of my days.
***
God bless each of you and may you have the wisdom,
comfort and help for whatever you are facing in your life today!

5 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

Get well soon, Dear Elizabeth!

Lilly's Mom said...

Happy Sunday dear Elizabeth. I hope you recover soon. Sending prayers for you 🙏🙏

Lisa said...

You are right, Elizabeth, we have to force ourselves at times just to remember the good, the Truth! I hope you'll feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are able to nap this morning. I hope that chili makes you feel better! xo

Becki said...

What a good meditation you've written here, Elizabeth. Get well, friend! BTW, I love the blooming Forsythia branch in the first picture. I usually forget to cut off some stems from ours out front to force some cheerful early blooms. I'm going to try to remember to do that tomorrow!