Monday, May 26, 2014

~love and prayer~

Some thoughts that I wrote before
we became homeowners and are in the two weeks of busy 
{preparing our new place to move in and moving in!} ~ Enjoy!
*
When I was newly married, I talked to a monastic about the change in my life in terms of prayer and routines.  I was used to a smaller prayer rule than my husband and was more likely to pray an Akathist to a Saint than do a longer same-everyday-prayer rule.  I was really struggling with the long written prayers that my husband was used to.  I was told to just not do as long of a written prayer rule.

I think it all has to do with love; if one does not have a love for a specific way in prayer that one is seeking to grow in…, one must not force it; better to find a way that one does love to pray and work with this; for me I am finding that if I try to read the Psalms as part of my prayer rule, this is helpful to me; the Psalter published by Holy Dormition Monastery is especially meaningful to me, as it has beginning prayers and different prayers after each Kathisma.  This means that there is some stability in prayer while still having different prayers each time.  

The point, it seems, is to pray, and to pray with love....