Thursday, January 24, 2019

NYC: Whole Foods, Tea and Sympathy, Purl SoHo, and Trader Joes


As I wrote this morning...
Best breakfast in town! My Husband bet me 5$ that I could not finish this. 
Guess who's going to be out of 5 bucks? Not me! 





I was very excited that I not only found the lime leaves 
(and took home a few other curry treats) but Rose Kombucha.
I had not seen this on this Coast at all, only had it in CA last March.
Fancy how 7 bottles went home with me ... 
(and I carried them around all day carefully packed in the bottom of my red cart!!)


There was a lot of fun things here, I restricted myself to only a few... 
my umbrella I see got in this picture, LOL... :) 


This was right outside the Tribeca Whole Foods. I walked from here to Purl Soho in the rain, with a detour at a bookshop devoted to mystery books. This was 1.4 miles of NYC in the rain. If you look through the construction made of, you can see an orange and white large cone "thing" where smoke is coming out from the ground, there was another one next to it that's not in the picture. Moody crazy rainy NYC....



It was so rainy.
I had two lightweight jackets for rain and my long jean skirt
and the rain-boots that I got for free that a neighbour was getting rid of...
I was wearing the red scarf that Pat gave me at Christmas
and thinking how blessed I was to have friends who love me... 
I went to a fun bookstore that I had never seen before
and bought 3 used vintage mysteries! 
I walked 1.4 miles from Tribeca to Soho in NYC. 
I went to Purl Soho!


















  






I bought a lovely German made retractable tape measure for a friend
and a size 9 circular needle for myself...
and then cabbed to Tea and Sympathy,
perfect for a hugely rainy but not that cold day....









That pot of tea never tasted so good! 
As I wrote earlier...
After my 1.4 mile walk to Purl Soho, I cabbed to Tea and Sympathy and had this glorious lunch of English Breakfast tea, beef stew and mash, as they worded it! It was just perfect after a huge rainy morning and I enjoyed sending a dear friend pictures. .... I still have some of the beef stew left, will be leftovers for Saturday night! (Since Saturday lunch is already taken care of!) 


Our quickly made dinner,
after putting away the frozen treats from Trader Joes and 
getting everything inside and settled... 
***
I am still thinking of the poor... I did not see many out today, but it was very rainy...
but I saw some and the disparity between many I saw and them... difficult...
One my way to Purl Soho I was tiring and unsure of where I was
and a British woman saw me and asked if I was alright, it was so comforting
and I was just a block from Purl Soho by then and she told me so 
and that was just lovely.
***
Kindness is so important. 
May we know the kindness of Christ and be able to show this to those we 
meet in this journey we call life... 

7 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Sounds like a wonderful, though rainy, day! So glad you experienced the kindness of a stranger when you needed a lift. :)

Becki said...

Great pictures, Elizabeth. I especially love seeing the inside of Purl Soho, but I'm intrigued by how many pictures you could take with no vehicles passing by, and even the above street shot shows so very little traffic. I would have thought NYC (even on a rainy day) to be crowded, both with vehicles and people. Your pictures look like a fun day in the city!

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, whew you had a very busy day! Love all the photographs of the City! How sweet that woman asked if you were ok. It does the heart good to know some people still care to be kind!

elizabeth said...

Lisa, absolutely!!! That lady was like an Angel to me in that moment!

Becki - I wonder if it was because it was often POURING rain with flood warnings even! It was much busier when I was near Trader Joes on 6th Ave!

Gina, it was so wonderful, her kindness... she was a lovely older/middle aged British woman! Yes, it was a really busy day!

Lisa said...

It's easier in New York to walk longer than you realize, with so much to look at, and not so many up or down hills. But then you still get tired...

GretchenJoanna said...

I enjoyed tagging along on your interesting city-rainy day -- it seems to me you made very good use of all the best features of the city, and it became a visually appealing and very personal story, with the stew and yarn and even a bookshop! ... I wanted to be there with you...

elizabeth said...

Lisa, yes, very much like that in NY!

G-J, it would have been lovely to be with you in NYC on a rainy day! :)