Tuesday, July 02, 2019

Delicious Vegan Shortbread Cake + Other Adventures



















So, swimming happened! 8 laps! Even saw friends!
(Thank you God for that)...
Bodega mural continues to develop... very talented artist!
I tried a quilting powder that you iron to adhere 2 fabrics together...
not sure if I am a fan.
Made the beginnings of a very simple pillow.
I want to get on to my goddaughter's quilt, ongoing since 2015, 
but I am not sure I can do the measuring I need to do with what I have
this week so I may need to go to a friend's next week... 
so it was nice to get a bit of sewing in but I am not sure if I can 
keep at it until next week...
so I cleaned a lot of sewing stuff back up so that I could do the next thing:
bake a surprise cake (vegan!) for Mr Husband as it seemed fitting to do
both on St John's day and for a holiday week... 
So! I baked the cake I had my eye on ever since I paged through
one of the new to me cookbooks, 
with my Husband looking on, as I wanted to show him somethings I 
saw in my first page through of the book
They call it Raspberry Shortbread Cakes
and my Husband immediately noticed it, as he loves raspberry in cake...
***
 I will have to do a post with the recipe I did... 
(with ingredients listed that is)
I merely put in egg replacer and vegan margarine in place of the butter...
I sifted all the dry goods and whipped the margarine until it was very soft.
This was so effective that the cake was so soft (but a bit of a hint of a crust on the outside)
that when I tipped it out of the glass tart pan, it was fine,
but when I tried to flip it back upright, it fell apart. 
I am thinking of using colder margarine, not whipping it more than is 
minimally necessary and not sifting the dry goods may help.
I am also thinking of using a cute muffin tin 
(the recipe called for Nordic Ware cupcake tins) as then
it may be less likely to break.  (Perhaps the tart glass pan
is for a denser cake...)
Also, wondering if I should have let it cool completely in the glass tart pan 
before trying to take it out...if I try to bake it in there again... 
Any advice, I am all ears! 
The GREAT news about this was the taste.
It was just perfect.
Just a hint of sweetness, the raspberry jam on top was lovely,
it was as close to a savoury sweet cake as one could get
and I am thinking it would be an absolutely *perfect* thing to serve 
in the 'scone' part of a tea... seriously I loved it so much!
Just have to figure out the best way to bake it (or slightly change) 
so that it can still be vegan but also as delicious as this one is! 
***
So tomorrow is a big, I hope, cooking day for me.
I hope to make 3 Indian dishes (all quick, stove top) and I hope to make
vegan naan bread as well... 
we will see how this goes!
We are having a bit of a staycation for the rest of the week
and I want to have some fun foods!
(we still have just under 2 weeks more of the Apostles Fast,
where we are (as much as one can given one's situation) vegan....)
***
Mr Husband printed this recipe for me 
and I have 2 recipes from 2 Indian cookbooks I hope to try
plus the naan recipe, which I am adapting as I could not find
one that was vegan that I could get the ingredients for. 
***
Well. I am thankful for cookbooks this week,
as you can see.
***
I know holidays and what-have-you-days can be hard;
for many; for many various reasons; 
so I pray that you will be carried through your personal hard
and that all of us can sense, even in the midst of so much,
how God's mercy can crack through the most darkest of times. 

2 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Too bad about your cake breaking into pieces. I wonder if it would hold together if it had a chance to cool completely. It looks delicious and that's really the main thing.

Lisa said...

I don't know what you could have done differently for your cake. I always cool mine for twenty minutes and then remove it from the pan. And I always grease and flour the pans. I think if it's too warm, it could fall apart, but if it's entirely cool, it may stick in the pan and be harder to get out.