Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A mercy of God

(This is my Mom's nice dish set; they were my
Grandmother's mother's dishes.)
*
I just wanted to note that I talked to my Grandma
tonight (not to be confused with my 102 year old Oma)
and it was such a blessing.
*
I reminded her of one of my Aunt's playing a joke on me
many Christmases ago;
we have name gift exchanges and my Aunt had my name...
I was about 18 or 19 at the time
and had asked for two possible gifts:
a popcorn popper
or a
devotional book.
I know... strange combination!
Anyway...
The gift I got from my Aunt's family was their
old beat up 1970's popcorn popper
in a box.
Later, after much laughter,
my Aunt gave me a new copy of
Joni Earekson Tada's recently published devotional,
diamonds in the dust
which I remember beginning to read in the new year...
I think I had just turned 19.
*
You know, her book had a huge impact on me;
I remember it so vividly;
she wrote on such simple topics;
including sin and frankly
it was some of the first movements in my more 'adult' life
(as opposed to a life of a young adult or child)
that moved me towards the life-giving gift of repentance
and hope.
*
I had given my Grandma an older copy of a Joni E Tada book
for Christmas that I had for years.
She is reading it now and enjoying it.
*
What a blessing it was to remember that Christmas past
and to talk with my Grandmother.
*
It is not easy to grow older
(she is 80 now but you would not know it);
one of her relatives through marriage
who she'd known for some years
died on Saturday; even though she had been ill
it was still a surprise.
She lost my Grandpa 6 years ago, she knows
how hard this is.
*
She is an example to me;
she prays for so many people,
is active in her church and still
has a volunteer job
3 times a week.
*
I hope when I am older
God willing
that I will be like her.
*
It is moments like this phone call
that remind me of God's love and how blessed I am
to have such a Grandmother.
*
Thanks be to God!

3 comments:

heather west said...

It is so nice to be able to have family members that are so special- particularly grandparents. I never had any around and it is something that I've always found to be missing.

Emily H. said...

Family is so important!

E Helena E said...

What an inspiring lady!