Monday, February 01, 2021

Monday: Glorious Snow!


























I finished re-reading Miss Read's
The Christmas Mouse 
such a delightful story!
And I love how simple Christmas was,
how gifts were given with great love and with sacrifice,
that the daughter buys the beautiful cyclamen plant 
and goes without new gloves for that winter,
resolving to merely sew her old ones up at the seams. 
***
My pink flowered plant is a cyclamen!
And it was a Christmas present of this year! Makes me very happy!
***
I made easy beef stroganoff and cream biscuits!
(I have cream to use up and this meal just begs for the
extra luxury of a cream biscuit!)
***
I love the snow and when it comes down and down,
with wind... I am glad we did not lose power!
My Husband and I both shoveled in the afternoon,
I would take a shovel full of snow from the top,
dump it by my feet and soon would have a good amount and
then scoop a bunch of it up in my snow shovel
and push it on the ground to the snow pile and then lift it all 
onto the pile of snow... this kept me from having to 
carry the snow (it got wet and heavy!) the whole way,
which would be hard on my wrists.
How I did it really did not take that much more time
and I was able to do a good deal of our (very small) driveway!
My Husband did more, doing the sidewalks, making sure the
drain got cleared of snow at the corner... 
I took a small walk where it had been shoveled to get at least
some movement for the day! 
***
I began another edit on an essay and finished a bit more
in the letter writing department, 
but I have more to do... but it feels good to have both
things to do! After the crazy baking rush of December,
it feels quite good!
***
So... I need to call my eye doctor tomorrow; I may have a new
eye problem/symptom related to my retina problem.
Could be serious.  Not sure yet. 
The good thing is that the amsler grid test does not show
huge change, so that is good. 
But I looked into the possible issue and it may be a problem.
Sorry to be vague but I don't want to say things prematurely.
I have my routine visit in the middle of this month but am thinking
that I may need to come in earlier.
Prayers welcome!
***
Well, I thank God for today and for such lovely snow.
***
I hope your day today had a moment or two of peace,
of something of comfort, something that sustains.
***
God bless you dear ones, each and every one!

7 comments:

Pilgrim said...

Our snow has passed, but it led to the cancellation of the liturgy this morning.
I have ordered a bunch of candles, and they are on the way, at least.
I loved that Miss Read Christmas book, too.
I am now in the final Thrush Green story, in my first reading through the series.
I am sad to see it end, but am enjoying it.

Gloria said...

Hello Elizabeth! I was thinking about you yesterday as I watched the news of your weather event. Everything in your home looks so cozy as you look out the window onto that lovely winter scene. Glad to know you are keeping safe and warm.

Granny Marigold said...

How nice that you got the snow you were hoping for. Not too much though, I hope.

I'm going to reread The Christmas Mouse AGAIN. Those excerpts made me want to do so. I love that Mary finds new hope in her future when she meets Ray.

karen hess jewelry said...

Oh, that snow IS glorious! I have to share that we had snow in Tucson too! Our mountains were beautifully covered but it didn’t last long...the past two days our temps have pushed 80!

Elizabeth, your little flowering plant is lovely. Can anyone tell me what it is called? My daughter and future son in law gave me the same one last Valentine’s Day and it is blooming again, prolifically!
Have a lovely evening everyone
Karen

karen hess jewelry said...

Oh gosh, now I feel silly. I made my inquiry after looking at all the photos and before I read the post! Pink cyclamen!

Diana said...

I was thinking of you when I saw all of the northeast getting that big snowstorm! We got barely an inch as it whizzed over us and turned your way. *sigh* It's been many years since we had a really good snow in our area. But winter isn't over yet! I love the doily under your cyclamen! Did you or a family member or friend make it? I have all the pretty doilies I remember watching my mama make when I was little, I really cherish them! Sending you big hugs and praying many blessings for you!!

Martha said...

Love the snow!