Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Tuesday: Briefly Warm at 46F










I made a new recipe by Luisa Weiss, see here for it!
Take away: like she implies, don't add all the dressing (at least not at once!)
Two, we will like it better JUST out of the oven.
That said, what a joy to make.  Such a wonderful flavour combination. 
I really enjoyed it and look forward to more tomorrow! 
***
The tree in the middle of the pictures, 
my Husband says it is some sort of fur
tree, do any of you know what it is? 
***
I loved seeing the SUN shine today and we had a
nice brisk walk and enjoyed seeing the sun, the beauty that is there,
even in very urban environments... 
***
We were going to NYC this Thursday but nope.
Winter weather is on its way again for Thursday, up to
8 inches they are saying now. 
Since the pandemic means we drive to NYC,
we rescheduled for later, in about a week's time.
***
So, I have so much I want to do tomorrow.
Laundry, do a serious de-clutter of the kitchen island, 
make the butternut squash soup,
more laundry.
***
That laundry, it always wants to grow into mountains :)
***
It's amazing how making a dish with a dressing, as well as 
doing lunch and dinner adds up in time; 
one minute my counter is clean, next minute full of stuff 
until I do my next clean, and then, after dinner, it's full again.
I was busy, on and off, until at least 9 PM just doing house stuff.
***
Well.  One thing at a time.
I am thinking still on Juliana's novel and seeing 
more about it and it's really fun (the thinking about it,
playing with it, in a way, as in hitting a ball back and forth
about the characters and what it all means.
If I do this, it means I liked the book a lot.
I love novels where the characters get in your head
and you think about them, their lives, choices and experiences
and how redemption happens.... 
***
Ok. It's late again.
I hope you are all well.
Still praying for Texas.
I think of England a lot too as I often
listen to Classic FM on my phone, which is from 
the UK.  
***
Speaking of England, can anyone explain what, 
in England, is a cookie, what is a scone and what is a cake?
***
God bless you all and keep you...

4 comments:

Elizabethd said...

Hello Elizabeth. Well. a Cookie is very much an American expression, though we do have some biscuits known as cookies. They tend to be thicker than average. When I say 'biscuits' I dont mean scones! Scones are what you call biscuits.
Cake is usually a sponge, or a fruit cake, or chocolate, made with flour, sugar, butter , eggs and rises nicely. You cut slices from a cake.
Isnt it complicated!!

Granny Marigold said...

I like the explanation of cookies, biscuits and scones. Not altogether sure I have it straight though. I wonder what biscuits are then called. Maybe savoury scones??

I know today was a very busy day for you. I hope you got everything done that you set out to do.

Juliana said...

As I understand it, biscuits are what we think of as cookies, cake is a sponge, and scones are a dense sweet biscuit that doesn't really have an American equivalent. Some scones have oats in them, some are just flour-based. They don't keep well. They are mostly crumbly but not crisp, if that makes sense.

Hope that helps! (Crisps are chips and chips are french fries, by the way).

karen hess jewelry said...

Hello Elizabeth ~ your photos are delightful, especially those outdoors. I can’t help with the biscuits, scones, cookies, but the little tree almost looks like the bonsai variety. I can’t tell by the size, bit the needles and tree bark remind me of one. I hope you’re having a
lovely week. I’ve been catching up on blogs as I’m quite behind. Thank you so much for recommending Sean of the South, his posts are delightful! Blessings to all!
Karen