Tuesday, February 09, 2021

Tuesday: the Day the House Shook















About lunch time, suddenly,
we heard a very loud noise, incessant,
and it shook the house, the vases above the fridge in the 
small cupboard rattled.
Everything was vibrating.  The dog in the house below us
barked each time the sound resumed; 
it stopped and started about 4 times.
Was it a jack hammer? Some sort of drill into the ground? 
We don't know. 
I am guessing it was near the new construction.
It was so loud that the daughters of the father in the house below us
texted my Husband asking about it as his daughters texted him at 
work, it was so loud. 
***
Well.  As you can see by the pictures, I made chicken and rice soup today!
I had leftover rice, leftover chicken (and bones, that was made in the 
broth before I added the meat, carrots, and later rice!  I also
added jarred bullion after the broth was strained (of bones etc) as 
it needed more flavour! 
***
For dinner we had the soup again, I felt it was a bit on 
the sweet side, I believe because of all the fresh farm carrots I put in,
so adding a bit of tomato paste and some garlic paste helped
balance that out, taking the edge off the sweetness and adding
more depth to the soup.
***
Marion Cunningham's Rescue Biscuits go best with this.
Though we may have crackers with it on Thursday as I hope
to have another writing/editing day on Thursday.
***
When I was talking to my Husband yesterday about how long
editing takes, he told me about 
Hofstadter's law, which is as follows:
***
Today I talked to my niece R and that was fun.
She wanted to see my kitchen (like every cupboard, what's on the counter,
what's in the canisters...), I showed her our Christmas tree 
and ornaments... 
***
So, God willing, I take down the Christmas tree tomorrow!
And decorations.  The 40 days of Christmas will not be done until Monday
but tomorrow is the best day for me to do this so tomorrow it is.
***
I I walked about 3.5K steps today. 
I was tired and I have learned, if tired,
then don't push one's self beyond what I feel
I can reasonably do. 
Sounds logical but took me a while to learn.
***
Interesting article HERE about Madeleine L'Engle writing a man 
who was wrongly convicted of murder and in prison.
Inspiring to read how he made a great life for himself
after he got out, amazing really.  So sad, when such
injustice happens though :(
***
I am slowly working through another novel.
Itching to get back to editing two book reviews I am working on. 
***
So, I got a head of cabbage in our farm box today.
Any suggestions on what to use it for?
***
I know I will be roasting various vegetables... 
***
And maybe next week making butternut squash soup!
Since that was in the farm box!
***
I pray that each of you are well, 
that you had a moment of peace, a moment of comfort;
a sense of God's mercy.
It's a hard time with the pandemic, we are all suffering in 
different ways.  
May God save us here and forever! 

4 comments:

Elizabethd said...

How nice to have fresh vegetables. I would slice some of the cabbage very finely, cook it and then mix with fried onions and bacon, again finely chopped. I like the combination of bacon with vegetables.
Then I'd freeze the rest of the cabbage until I decided what to do!

Gloria said...

Good Morning Elizabeth, Glad it wasn't an earthquake. We get those here from time to time but nothing like California. Stuffed cabbage leaves might be good. I generally make a pot of cabbage patch soup or chop it up along with fresh broccoli, chopped apples and almonds and then dress it in creamy sweet lemon dressing. Yummy! Take care!

Martha said...

Thank you for sharing that article about Irwin and L'engle. I'm disappointed in our justice system for reasons like this. It's great he was able to teach at the University of Michigan and help many others.

Granny Marigold said...

That was an awful lot of noise from construction! I thought you were going to write that it was an earthquake.
All the lovely fresh vegetables look inspiring. So many great meals in the next week or two.