Friday, February 05, 2021

Thursday: In NYC (my library, Tea and Sympathy + eye doctor)



OK. Here we are again!
I went down a rabbit-hole figuring out what books I read last year 
and this year! If you want to see the list (and a scattered book list,
incomplete, since 2013) go HERE
***
Just 2 pictures as it is nearly midnight now.
***
Tea and Sympathy, as you can see above, was grand as usual.
Chicken pot pie with mashed potatoes and peas + English Breakfast Tea.
Very good and so glad I got this!
***
I also got two more boxes of decaf PG Tips so that I have a good stash
for the year! So glad about that!
***
I drink decaf after about 2 PM every day and I often have 4 pots of tea a day,
so decaf is needed :) 
***
OK. Whew, what a full day.  It was good.
Left late because hall toilet nearly overflowed and had to help Mr Husband.
It's fixed now THANK YOU Lord!!! 
Went to library, dumped off many books and then got 10 (I think) more!
I so want to go back and get more books.
It's so hard to not be able to pop in whenever I wish to!
***
Then a long cab ride via Central Park and 5th Ave 
(so many retail stores gone :( ) 
to Tea and Sympathy.
Let me tell you wearing a mask all day it's hard.
***
Tea and Sympathy was like an oasis in the desert, 
refreshment after exhaustion 
and a great place to read a book.
So glad I could stock up on tea also! 
***
Then I cabbed to my eye doctor.
I had my whole day mapped out literally,
as in I poured over Google Maps last night
and emailed myself exactly when I had to leave each place to be
on time for the next place!
I got home right when I thought I would at 4:30.
And boy was I tired.
I think wearing a mask most of the day did not help that
feeling of fatigue. 
***
So, my eyes are stable.
No immediate cause for concern, again a huge
THANK YOU God.
My ophthalmologist (who I really like and trust) is not sure 
that I don't have something genetic going on.
My right eye esp has some changing/darkening pigmentation
and he is wondering if I have 
(thankfully right now not really severe) rod/cone problem
 or a pigmentosa problem. 
I am guessing that either one if I got it bad could lead to 
near blindness or worse.  But right now, 
with my glasses, I see pretty good.
Not perfectly.  It's not as good, like it's harder for me to read some signs
that I know I could read a few years ago.
And some cookbooks are getting too be too small.
And some smaller Dorothy Sayers books, well, I read 
The 9 Tailors by magnifying glass. So yeah, not like it used to be.
But it's not, either, like being near blind with glasses on. 
So, that's how it is. 
***
Thanks Martha, for just asking about my day and the doctor's visit.
I was just writing this up when you left your comment!
And Mary, most welcome and I KNOW, I find her song so moving, Dame Vera... 
***
Well, I will publish this with today (Thursday's) date but it's 
technically 12:06 AM and I best get on to bed, once again... 
***
I am really thankful for this day.
I am learning to accept that I always feel sad when
I get home from my beloved library or NYC in general 
because I never know when I can get back to either.
(I am DV going back in a couple weeks actually but will not
be able to visit my library as it is uptown and we will be more in 
the Chelsea area of Manhattan and my Husband I think will 
drive in so I really won't be able to go to my library.
It's just as it is.
I used to that the PATH and then a subway to my library,
but with the pandemic it's just no possible.
And I am only 44 so getting the vaccine in NJ for me is going to be, I am 
guessing, a couple of months at best. 
***
So, how was YOUR day? 
Thanks everyone for your comments and love! 
PS: still doing my public Instagram account if you want to 
follow along HERE.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Elizabeth!!! I am SO EXCITED for the link to your book list!!! I have wanted for so long to ask but would forget, then remember but think the request might be too much , not realizing you probably already had one in process. So, I just put that request on the 'back burner for later' and , here, today comes the DREAM LIST ! I grew up believing libraries were my second home and memorized every nook and cranny of them wherever I lived at the time. When my kids were small, one library/children's dept. would let us take 30 (THIRTY !) books at a time. They had huge army green duffle bags we could fill up and lug home (somehow). Childrens librarians were like minor gods to me. Well, you know what I mean. This list is delicious. Thanks so, so much!

Gretchen Joanna said...

I'm glad you got some feedback about **stability** from your eye doctor.

Books are such essential "food" for our souls, or so it seems to me. <3

Granny Marigold said...

So good to know all went well and your eyes are not any worse. Let's pray they stay stable now.
I'm really into tidying up and decluttering in my kitchen today. It's a dreary day....just the day to get some chores done. ( I also have bread in the oven at this moment) Take care