Wednesday, February 03, 2021

Wednesday: Full and Fast




Hello dear friends! 
Whew what a day we had today.
Got a call this morning about 9 AM to go to NYC 
tomorrow to get my eyes checked out by my ophthalmologist.
It's best that way.  IF there is something wrong, we hopefully 
would catch it early and if not, then thank God and no big deal,
as I was scheduled for my 6 month check up in 2 weeks anyway. 
So: I hoping to get up very early and go to my library first,
then Tea and Sympathy
and then the eye doctor at 2 PM.  I will be doing a lot of cabbing
tomorrow.  I am all packed and ready to go. 
***
The two Elizabeths: yes, Memory Eternal to Captain Tom!
When I heard I was so sad and I listened to Classic FM from the UK on my phone
when it was 5 your time and about noon my time, I was getting lunch made
and they spoke of him in tribute and played Dame Vera's song and then another
and I was tearing up sad for sure. 
God rest his soul with the righteous! 
***
 Mary: you are more than welcome to know what the covered dish is.
I am so sorry to say however that it is out of stock everywhere I could see.
However, I bought it (for a bit less money but still a lot) from HERE.
I find Blue Rose Pottery customer service to be excellent so
if you want to spend that amount of money, you could ask when they 
expect it back in stock.  I had to wait months for mine as it was not in stock
when I first saw it.  It is lovely indeed.  (I bought mine with birthday money!)
***
Karen HJ: you are always welcome here and so glad you like the plant!
Diana: I guess my Oma did this doily; I am not 100% positive but all of mine are
pretty much from her so I would guess this one is too.
Many of hers are much finer thread and are starched. 
I treasure them very much.  My Oma, my Mother's Mom,
lived to be nearly 103.  I wrote years ago about how we were in the building
where she lived when she fell and broke her hip
and how my Husband who was not even engaged to me yet, but
we were dating, came to her funeral and what a lot of blessings that
time had in it.  You can read about this HERE.
***
Lisa: I totally get the fear of slipping and falling. I have ONLY
walked (with a few quick exceptions) on already cleared sidewalks or
on the road (side streets without cars) and NOT on slippery snow or ice.
I merely fell off a curb a few summers ago and broke my ankle badly.
So I take falls very seriously and am quite careful and I am SO GLAD that
you are careful too.  I am glad that where I live I can still walk around
but I confess that I miss the countryside too but I guess we best
look at what we DO have to be grateful for instead of what we do not have! :)
***
I was telling my Mom on the phone that instead of worrying about my eyes
(if you are newer here, I have had some scares and wondered if, later in life,
I would lose a lot of my vision, which could still happen but I don't live
in fear of it for then I would be wasting all this time that I can see, etc)
anyway, as I was telling my Mom, instead of 
1. worrying deeply about my eyes and what may be going on
(I've had some worry but not cripplingly so) I am
2. Making a day out of it.  As in going to NYC and doing some things I love
before going to the eye appt so that it's more of a game in a way.
Does that make sense?
I think a lot about how as an adult I need to be my own Mother in ways.
Not that I don't thank God EVERY day for my Mother.  I am super blessed and I know it.
But what I mean is that for me, at age newly 44, I know that I need to do
what I need to do to function at my best and that means
mothering-myself-through-things like eye appointments and I think of the brave
mothers who I have heard about making their child feel loved and 
having adventures even when times were difficult and perhaps the
family was living in dire circumstances or poverty but still 
made joy in life.  Like in Dragons in the Water, with the elderly Aunt
(it's one of Madeleine L'Engle's lovely YA books). 
Anyway, I know it's best 
ESP in the pandemic to merely seize the chance to go to NYC, make a day of it,
enjoy it as much as I can, and just be thankful for the chance to go in 
an extra time.  I really do feel that is a gift right from God.
It's been over 4 months since I saw any of my family and will be many
months (at least 4) before we see any again 
and while I get to go to church, nothing is the same, right.
We all know that we all live under a lot more restrictions even if not 
in lockdown, which were are not in here at present, 
as in I can leave take a cab and go to NYC tomorrow.
***
Well, on that note I best get myself to bed.
***
(But can I quick mention that I swept and mopped the house,
washed tons of dishes, made an amazing lentil soup and vegan biscuits
and will try to tell you about the soup on Friday).  There.  Now on to sleeping!
***
God be with you all, bless you, protect you and comfort you! 

4 comments:

Mary said...

Elizabeth, thank you so much for the info. on the blue rose pottery. I've never heard of it before but am now hooked on just looking at the pictures! It is so very, very beautiful. It is wonderful to think about your day out to the city. I'm an extreme country girl "up a holler" here in W.V. , mesmerized by trees, mountains and water, but I can imagine how delightful the shops in NYC must be. I was in ?Yonkers in the late '90s for a summer seminar at St. Vladimir's Seminary and got lost IN THE BRONX driving back home to W.V. WHEW!!!! Have you and Mr. Husband been able to get your vaccines yet? I'm still on the list here. Soon, God willing, I will get mine. God bless you dear ones.

Mary said...

Never heard of Dame Vera so looked her up, listened to "We'll Meet Again" and I'm a sobbing, weeping mess!!! My dad, God rest his precious soul, jumped on Omaha Beach, Normandy on D-Day. God have mercy on all of mankind.

Granny Marigold said...

I hope all went well in NYC today and that you got only good news about your eyes.
Also hope you had the chance to go to the library and Tea and Sympathy and that you had an enjoyable time. With all the emphasis on staying home a trip to the city is definitely a chance to make the most of it.

Martha said...

Did you get more snow? Were you able to go to the eye appointment and your fav tea stop?