Tuesday, February 02, 2021

Tuesday: Full and Remembering a UK Hero















I wrote this HERE.
and wanted to record it here as well:
I have been thinking of +Captain Sir Thomas Moore, who by his 100th birthday raised over 33 Million pounds for the National Health Service in the UK and became a worldwide inspiration for us all during these hard pandemic days.   I thought, how beautiful that he died today, February 2nd which is known in the West as Candlemas day.  It is a truly blessed day to die for on this day it is remembered that Christ, as a baby, enters the temple for the first time and an old wise man, often called Prophet Simeon, holds baby Jesus in his arms and says “Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word: For mine eyes have seen thy salvation.”  What a blessed day of light, when candles are blessed and we remember Elder Simeon holding baby Jesus, who on this day was only 40 days old.  God give you rest +Captain Sir Thomas Moore and may your memory be eternal! I am lighting candles for you! 
***
Also wrote this: 
Yesterday I made a delicious but very easy meal for dinner! I call it easy beef stroganoff! It's from an Amish cookbook and uses a can of cream of mushroom soup (I kept it simple and used Campbell's).  The meal and how I make it, inspired by this recipe..... It's quite simple: brown meat in butter with minced onion and oregano, salt and pepper. Once meat is browned/well on it's way to being fully cooked, either switch pans or drain oil.  Then add one can cream of mushroom, 1 can water and simmer a good 20-30 minutes, allowing the soup to reduce.  Cook up egg noodles and mix!  I also made Cream Biscuits that Marion Cunningham learned from James Beard; I use Cunningham's Cookbook called Lost Recipes for this. It's a delicious comforting warm meal, perfect for a cold winter's day! 
***
It was overall a good day.
5K step walk in snow.
Various people out shoveling.
Read some of my book.
Listened to liturgy this AM since I could not be there
because it was cancelled due to the snow.
I am aware that I feel lonely.
The pandemic.
But it could be much much worse and I know that full well.
I edited an essay, still typing in the edits that I did on paper...
I can't seem to keep up with working on my essays and dishes.
Well, one thing at a time. 
***
May God have mercy on us and save us!

4 comments:

Elizabethd said...

We are all feeling sad at Captain Tom's passing. But what a wonderful year he had to go out on.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Thank you for your prayers for Captain Tom. May his memory be eternal.
I love your table photos, as always!

Mary said...

May God rest his sweet soul in peace. Yes, Cpt. Tom's been in my thoughts, as well. I LOVE, Love the smile on the Queen's face, looking at him as she knighted him. Elizabeth, a request please: I drool over that beautiful dish every time I see it in your photos. Its the one that held the stroganoff. Can you please tell me the maker/pattern names? God bless you dear- both of you. Chin up and steady on! Just like Cpt. Tom would tell us.

Lisa Richards said...

That does sound like a delicious and comforting meal! I wish I could get myself outside to walk. I worry too much about slipping and falling, I guess. I like the wide angle photo of your kitchen, so we can see it all at once. :) I stayed home on Sunday as well. Since it's 15 miles away it's a little too easy for me to find excuses not to drive to town. Especially since there are so many good teachers and pastors online. I know we do need to have fellowship, but I tend to not hang around for that afterwards anyway. I know, it's something I must keep working on. Shyness is a plague! (I really do like people, once I make the effort to go somewhere!) God bless you two!