Monday, October 14, 2019

(50) ~ Canadian Thanksgiving 2019



















What a good day this turned out to be...
I had some moments of sadness (Cleo's absence esp) but 
felt so glad that I FINALLY baked the turtle bars
(though I clearly made an error in making the 3rd little one, as I needed more
topping but will make it work...)
I also need to rewrite the recipe for these bars, perhaps tomorrow! 
***
We enjoyed hot turtle bar right before dinner...
I got out my little Canadian flag tray that I got at IKEA in Ottawa
before I moved, with the purpose of having Canadian Thanksgiving
in my new life with Mr Husband... 
***
Oh, to answer Granny Marigold's question about if I knew,
when I met my then boyfriend now Mr Husband for the first time
in Ottawa for Canadian Thanksgiving weekend...
if I knew he was going to become my Husband....
We had been emailing since later July of that year and, as we
were both older (I was then 34 and he was past 45), 
we were not dating to just 'have fun' dating.
Both of us do not see life that way - as in we would never had just 
dated without the hope of marriage. 
We talked about it tonight and we both agreed even on the same wording,
we would not have wanted to invest in a long distance relationship if there
was not a very distinct chance at marriage.
Actually Mr Husband is the only man I dated and I got my wish,
to date only one person and marry him! 
So by the time we met, I was already thinking marriage,
though we were still in the making-sure-this-was-indeed-a-good-thing
stage of things.... I knew more when I visited him in November in NJ
and even more when my Oma died and my now Husband then boyfriend
went to the funeral with me; he met so many relatives, as my Mom
is the youngest of 8 children and all my Aunts and Uncles are
grandparents by now and had all at least 2-3 children each themselves...
then I knew... and by December we were talking wedding plans... not sure
exactly how/when that happened but so it was... !
***
I really feel that my marriage to Mr Husband is really one of the 
miracles of God in my life, in our life.
And it is one that we ask God to protect every night;
we always pray for our marriage, as life is not easy
and marriage is a joy but also work and needs to be 
continually bathed in prayer.
Anyone who has been married more than a few years will tell you,
there are highs and lows in marriage, just like they are in life itself.
Prayer, communication, a willingness to see oneself and the other in truth
(i.e. you see not only one's failings but the other's point of view etc.)
and a good sense of humour are all 
"bare necessities" for a long lasting marriage...!
And I really feel that asking God for protection for one's marriage 
is so important; it is too easy to think one has it made already,
that one's marriage is a sure thing without work and prayer ... I believe that
living like this can lead to heartbreak...
***
Well, on to other things.... I practiced the makeup for the wedding,
got it down to 30 minutes, I am sure soon it will be 20 minutes with 
a bit more practice.  I am pleased with my progress!
***
I did so much laundry today! 
I had found some more great thick towels at the VNA rummage sale
and boy do I love the luxury of such
soft thick towels that I got for only a few dollars!
***
I listened to more of Tolkien's Silmarillion while I was
sort and folding laundry...
***
I also talked with my Grandma and later my Mom,
when I was washing dishes, before I made the 
turtle bars.
***
one of the things I listened to while baking was
this Hobbit music...

I can't really watch the Tolkien movies;
too much for me; 
I'd rather read them or listen to them any day,
but I enjoy some of the sound track...
***
Tomorrow I hope to go to NYC to my library and that really cheers me up.
I have somewhere to go now, 
a place to do work, even if slowly, on my writing,
a routine, familiar faces, a trip by PATH and subway that I have done
various times and that I enjoy.
This is really one of the turns for me for the better in my life.
Really helps me not only with the loss of Cleo but 
with when the weeks are long and I don't have anyone in particular to see.
So I find that this library makes all the difference for me,
at least in this part of my life,
this chapter of it, that is.
***
Well, it is beyond time for me to seek to sleep.
May God bless and protect us all!
And help us when things are difficult, exhausting,
worrying and a huge struggle... 

8 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Thanks for answering my question. I'm so happy for you that you and your husband found each other and are making a wonderful life together. Blessings always, GM

Elizabethd said...

So lovely to have your wish granted, and to meet someone who was perfect for you, and you for him.

E Helena E said...

Your true story with Mr. Husband is a thrilling, yet also a solidly beautiful one. These are wise and sacred words about the necessity to bathe marriage in daily prayer. Love to you both!

Becki said...

Wise words about marriage, here, Elizabeth. It's also enjoyable to read more of your story. I'm glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving meal. It all looks delicious!

Lilly's Mom said...

What a lovely story you have shared with us today. I'm so happy for you both. I was 21 and my husband was 33 when we got married and that was over 44 years ago! He is my best friend and I'm truly blessed so I know what you are saying. I wish you many years of happiness dear friend.

Lisa Richards said...

I enjoyed hearing your courtship story! The bars look yummy!

GretchenJoanna said...

It was good to hear about your courtship and continuing dedication to each other <3 Glory to God for His wonderful gifts!

Thank you for posting the Hobbit music!

Paula said...

Happy Thanksgiving! We had a busy weekend with my sister and BIL. Full roast beef supper on Saturday and then turkey day on Sunday (they had to head back to TO on Monday). Luckily, my Mom doesn't mind washing dishes. I'm still under the weather so I was very grateful for the help.

Colin's only the second guy I dated. I think I've told you that we met online and long distance dated too. I knew from the time I met him in person that he was the guy God meant for me. I dropped lots of hints that first weekend together. I was worried he would think I was a "Toronto career girl" and wouldn't want to "give it all up" to move way up here. :)