Sunday, October 06, 2019

(41): VNA rummage sale treasures and the weekend as it was

As we always do, we found some lovely things
for our home at the VNA.
While it will take time,
we have a lot of Delft (including 3 we just found!) plates to hang up!
I know exactly where I want plates 
(above kitchen cupboards and in hallway up high)
and was so pleased to find these 3:




Plus the above bowl on top right above!












As you can see, we found some lovely pottery to add to our collection!
Also found this cute whimsical teapot!
I have a similar one for Wind in the Willows and was 
excited to find this one as well!
(as usual, Mr Husband actually spotted it and showed me!)


We have a corner cupboard in our kitchen that
was under-utilized so early Saturday morning, before
quilt guild at 10 AM, I cleaned everything out of it,
put most of it back in the bottom shelf only and 
was able to fit the new teapot, bowl, soup tureen and cake stand
in this cupboard! Which means the new buffet we still have for
later.  I plan in advance ;) And while we have a lot of space, with our 
kitchen and buffets, things do fill up... 
***
DV I have having a small dinner party next week Sunday night 
Menu:
Roast Chicken
Roasted fingerling potatoes with parsley
Roasted Brussels Sprouts 
Salad
Biscuits 

I am not sure on the dessert yet, I have various options in the freezer :)
I do know that I want to use my gold rimmed white plates,
the new demitasse cups and saucers 
(I have 4 cups and 3 saucers but have white and gold rimmed saucers
which will do for the 4th one), the matching 4 dessert (or bread) plates,
the new wide blue bowl... 
***
I got one other VNA rummage sale pottery find:
this lovely 3 tiered tea tray! 
It's Royal Albert, Old Country Roses pattern! 
I have the hardware for the gold coloured stand as well,
I just did not want to take the time to assemble it before I put it away!
It was fully assembled when we found it, we merely wisely had
it disassembled before we took it home as there would be much
less chance of it breaking and I store them disassembled anyway.
I can have tea parties now, on the fancy side, as this is the 4th
three tiered tea tray I have found, all from the VNA


I found some beautiful jewelry at the VNA for really reasonable prices!
These are both for the wedding I am going to later on. 
I will be wearing DV my silver ball gown and new red hat,
so this necklace, with the silver and red + the bracelet will be perfect for that!







I kinda went a bit "crazy" in the stationary tent.
Most of the stationary is being quarantined for 3 months in
bags and garbage cans in the garage...
(same old same old, making sure no bugs are there or at least not living) 
but the above items were still new/unopened so I got to have them now :) 








Vespers last night for St Innocent of Alaska...(locally)
and for the Conception of St John the Baptist (faraway church this morning)...
church is always a blessing.... 


This cute ice cream *pink* bowl (!) was 1$ at the VNA rummage sale
this past Friday and I was so excited to find it!
It was just the perfect size for a bowl of my favourite
Trader Joes French Vanilla Ice Cream :)


I LOVE this card and it is going off to my godson for his birthday soon!



Belated names day flowers!
(St Elizabeth Mother of St John the Baptist, her day is Sept 18th, 
well, one of her days anyway!)



Dinner of leftovers!

 I appreciated seeing this meme.
Of course Christ did not condemn but also said
"go and sin no more"...
***
I am still preparing for the wedding I keep mentioning 
(DV I can share more after the wedding which is the
first week in November)
and am going back to the makeup store on Tuesday,
not only to return/replace some things but to ask more questions
as I will be doing my own make up for the event and want to do
my dear friend (who is a lovely fun, fashionable smart and deeply pious 
Orthodox monastery-loving woman!)
proud and be pretty for her special day.
***
I realized that I get really stressed at times,
OK actually I have known this for years but it cropped up again,
when I am spending money for "me" and can get way
too anxious about it.
Even though I have plenty of friends who are Orthodox Christians,
not to mention Christians in other Christian churches,
who wear makeup or spend money on their hair or such things. 
***
I felt the same struggle when I was newly in the workplace
and needed new business clothes. 
I struggle with it on and off and have for years;
it does not stop me from buying things 
(obviously as this post RE: VNA rummage sale finds)
but it can really being me down.
***
I can struggle also with a sense of despair that is not of God...
the Psalms (such as Psalm 18) really help me with that...
or remembering what Fr Stephen Freeman said about asking God
very simply and repeatedly: "comfort me"
and also what my favourite Abbess told me about
remembering God is the one one can always turn to,
is always there for us, is fully dependable
and is the Greatest of Friends.
***
I just feel often this deplorable (or perhaps it should read
heavy, grief-laden) lack within myself.
I am fighting this again and remembering Mat Constantina's 
narration of the nun who had been mistreated and could not do 
any self-criticism, esp deeply (the kind that is suppose to bring humility,
not despair) and instead was told, was instructed to practice
daily thankfulness. 
***
Speaking of thankfulness, THANK YOU everyone who commented this week
about my beloved Cleo and my continued grief and love for her.
Each one of your comments really encouraged and blessed me!
I had a good phone call with a dear friend today who understood
that feeling the sadness for Cleo's death is uncomfortable 
and not "Fun" but that the only
way to get past it is to go through it.
And I know she is right.
I miss Cleo. I am sad that she is not with us.  And for many reasons particular to my
life with Mr Husband in our current home in NJ, we can't get another cat
anytime soon, maybe not ever in this home. 
So this is a real journey for me.
***
I am pretty sure the grief about Cleo is mixed in with the feelings of 
despair and anxiety I have been feeling. 
And I know by writing about it and sharing in this way,
I will already feel a lot better.
***
Well.  I have a full week ahead!
I plan on enjoying lots of pots of tea,
allowing myself to watch some perry mason 
(it's somehow linked to losing Cleo)
and I hope bake and do lots of things and seeing some friends as well.
I decided I still need to keep count of the days since Cleo died,
I am not ready to stop counting in other words,
so I am just having the number (41) for today, for example, at the beginning
of my blog post title.  It stands for 41st day without Cleo.
***
No matter what is happening in our lives, 
may the hope and love 
and comfort that Christ can give be with us
and may Christ save us! 

4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Of course you're still feeling grief and sadness. I'm glad you are feeling a little better though, day by day.
Wonderful rummage sale finds!!!

Becki said...

I would imagine that loosing a pet you've had for so long and has seen you through many changes would hurt for a long time. You have found some beautiful dishes at the rummage sale. I can feel your enthusiasm in looking forward to using them soon. I hope you have a blessed week, Elizabeth.

Elizabethd said...

What lovely things you found at the sale. The stationery is particularly pretty.
There is no limit to the number of days or weeks, or even years, that we grieve. Just take time.

Tracy said...

You find the BEST stuff at that sale, Elizabeth! Saw all these lovelies on your IG, and fun to see them all here collected... WOW so many beautiful things! And love that card for your godson--book-lined igloo!! :) I have felt similar feelings that you share. And you are in a period of grief, so a LOT comes up! In periods of life, I found myself lacking in big ways, inwardly mostly. I can to understand that that was mostly my being separated from God, for not calling out to Him enough, being in His presence enough. Whenever I have a twinge of that feeling, I stop, and know that Jesus is right there for me. We just have to ask--how simple it is, yet how hard sometimes too! May you be filled with Him today, and every day... God bless you, my friend ((HUGS))