Wednesday, October 09, 2019

(44) encouragement


Last night, at church class, I asked our local priest 
what to do when struggling with despair.
He said some really comforting things....
***
Pray that you will not be filled with despair.
Think of how I am with Christ and that
Christ provides the grace for me.
Christ gives the grace I need.
St Mary of Egypt remembered her sins as she progressed
and at the same time grew in Christ...
That one must love oneself as Christ loves,
know that we are loved while yet we are sinners
the only thing the devil cannot do is love,
[we must not hate ourselves this way].

4 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

I wrote this quote in my prayer journal. It's from Madame Guyon. Are you familiar with her? This was in my devotional called "Streams in the Desert". My mom gave me a copy many years ago and I'm always blessed by many of the selections. I keep intending to read more from Madame Guyon. Anyway, here's the quote:

"I entreat you, give no place to despondency. This is a dangerous temptation--a refined, not a gross temptation of the adversary. Melancholy contracts and withers the heart, and renders it unfit to receive the impressions of grace. It magnifies and gives a false coloring to objects, and thus renders your burdens too heavy to bear. God's designs regarding you, and His methods of bringing about these designs, are infinitely wise."

I also struggle with despondency, so I appreciate any encouragement or instruction I find on the subject. Praying for you! đŸ’•

Granny Marigold said...

Your priest had some very wise words, and so did Lisa in her comment. One must not give in to despair but 'keep on keeping on'.

E Helena E said...

These are very encouraging words. Thank you for sharing them with us, dear friend!

Lisa said...

Yes, to all the above! Praying for you!