Saturday, October 12, 2019

(48) Restful peaceful day ~ with a delightful book to listen to



Today began with my waking and my Husband, already awake,
telling me that our guests for tomorrow's dinner had to cancel
due to illness.
And just like that I had a free day to do other things,
than de-cluttering the house, preparing food and setting the table for a 
dinner party tomorrow.
***
Not that I would have minded, anyone who has read my blog
for a while knows how much I love decorating the table for a 
dinner party and I already knew what dishes I had planned to use! 




 However, in light of the change,
I had a leisurely breakfast,
and then cleaned up a bit and then got out 
sewing boxes and socks that needed darning as well
as eye masks that I find so comfortable but that
eventually split at the outside seams, with foam thus
exposed and I find them unusable in that state. 
And I got out the Wind in the Willows CDs that I got
from my NYC library!
  




We had a simple lunch of spinach salad and chicken burgers,
with a small bowl of ice cream for dessert!





And my socks got heels mended, with 
the egg darning socks being used to great effect
and I pinned and sewed shut the outside seams of the 
eye mask; does look funny, doesn't it?
They are so effective though and I am so happy to have them fixed! 



Vespers and then a quick trip up a few blocks to our upscale grocer
and I got the above sandwich for dinner,
raisin walnut chicken salad with red grapes.
Delicious! 


I have 2 sleeping masks to fix, so I listened to a bit more
of the Wind in the Willows as I worked on it again a bit tonight. 
I hope to resume work on this on Monday!
***
I am so thankful I was feeling better today.
That flu shot was a pain for sure; 
I hope, at least, that I don't get the flu this year!
***
May God bless and help each of us..... 

3 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

That chicken salad sandwich looks mouth wateringly delicious! I just remembered I haven't had supper yet. Leftover baked chicken and potatoes. LOVE Wind in the Willows! :)

Granny Marigold said...

So the masks are worn to enable you to sleep ( keeping out the light?) I thought maybe they were to soothe your eyes. I have a Bruder mask that I use when my eyes hurt too much but I must admit I'm often too impatient to sit with it on for 10 or 15 minutes that I should.

elizabeth said...

Thanks Lisa!!!
Granny Marigold: yes, these type of sleeping masks are to keep out light! I find them comfortable (some masks are too tight and can't be adjusted, as opposed to these that are fully adjustable). I did not know about the Bruder mask - do your eyes hurt because of dryness?