Friday, October 26, 2018

Friday, another week evaporated...


While it is the weariness that I write of below,
I wanted to mention up front that today is my parent's wedding anniversary.
I am so blessed by them, their 40+ years of marriage and 
that I was raised by Christian parents.
I made my Mom laugh when I sang to her,
happy anniversary to you, 
happy anniversary to you, 
you no longer live in a zoo
(your children are grown and left) ...

When we were kids we loved to sing
Happy Birthday and include in it the part about
you live in a zoo and look like a monkey (something something...)
I can still hear my cousin A laughing at us kids,
singing that again... now she is a Grandmother and us kids are grown... 




My Husband worked from home today,
we had hot vegan 'chicken' soup with shiitake mushrooms for 
lunch and dinner.
Lots of coughing, hoarse voices, blowing of noses, etc.
Hot tea, hot soup, menthol rubs, diffuser, oil on feet etc... 
I watched a current Amazon prime movie, Christmas Snow,
a total unexpected tearjerker.  I enjoyed it. 
I did and folded a lot of laundry, did 2 loads of dishwasher dishes,
prepared lunch and dinner... and did monthly paperwork that I do 
for my Husband... and read a bit more of Village School by Miss Read... 
and I picked up again CS Lewis' Letters to Arthur Greeves, 
They Stand Together, where I am still in 1916 with CS Lewis young
and not knowing yet that he is on the verge of discovering Christ... 
Lewis, even then, was so good at describing  books, walks he took and 
the beauty he beholds... 
Do you have days where you feel like you go from happy-sad-happy-sad-sad-happy?
It was one of those days for me;
I think the cold has a lot to do with it,
and just the weariness of the last few years for us, 
it's been a lot harder than we could of ever foreseen but 
here we are, seeking God's will...
I am in the last lovely long essay in Ordinary Wonders, (I am reading it outloud
to my Husband as I have already read it through once myself)
 and really appreciated this:

"An abbot of my acquaintance once said: "If you don't know how to act,
just say with all your heart: 'Lord, I love You! Glory to You!' 
(page 252 Ordinary Wonders: Stories of Unexpected Grace). 

So I come again to beauty, to words of hope, to the amazement of 
beauty on a page, to silence, to the awareness that fullness exists,
but I guess at the moment I am plain weary
and also aware of other's struggles and heavy burdens.
Sometimes we get a breather but then it's back to unexpected hard.
Well. Lord help us, have mercy on us and save us! 

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That abbott knew what he was about! Yes, I've had days like that, too. It's when I'm not physically up to par - it seems to reflect in my emotions as well as the body.