Sunday, October 21, 2018

A peaceful Sunday with church, a walk, and making chicken noodle soup







It was good to be at liturgy today... 
nice coffee hour afterwards with good talks...
We had a nice walk... hard to know how to dress...
cold when the wind is up and not as cold when it is not...
I dressed warmly but, as the wind died down, I was carrying my new
red coat by the time we returned, but was so glad for it 
when the wind was blowing! 
***
Tonight I prepared a chicken soup for the crock-pot...
used these two recipes (one, two) to start off with and then basically added a lot of 
carrots, half of a huge onion, dried celery seeds (since I did not have celery),
parsley, thyme, salt and pepper... 
I am going to cook it overnight and finish preparing it in the morning
(de-boning, taking off the chicken skin + cooking the noodles while doing so)
and we will have it for lunch tomorrow! 
If I have a chance, I hope to make bread to go with it! 
***
Tomorrow afternoon I am going to NYC (again!) and hope to go to 
Trader Joes (simple list, 2 things: organic spinach and bananas!)
and will have a meeting later on...
It's going to be cold so I will dress warmly! 
We will come home and reheat the soup and have soup and bread for dinner,
most likely with hot ginger tea! 
That is going to be so nice, God willing! 
***
I was looking at my shelf with all my new vintage Miss Read books
and suddenly an image of my old hometown library,
that when I was a child was in an old white clapboard church,
and there on the shelf near a window, I am sure of it, 
was a whole shelf of Miss Read books.
She was still busy writing them when I was a child and I know that library
well and have no doubt that these books were, in fact, there
as they would have been well loved by many who lived there... 
It's funny how you can remember places that no longer are...
I remember the light of the library, bright light, yellowish walls,
cheerful, simple and so many rows of books... 
***
I remember the librarian of my childhood too,
curly short grey hair, big round glasses,
so friendly and remembering everyone's names...
it was a happy place to visit...
***
I am dreaming more and more of Thanksgiving and of
Christmas and the gifts (esp baked goods!) that I hope to make...
it's lovely to have things to look forward to!
I hope you are all having a good Sunday
and that your week begins peacefully.
***
We all have our challenges in life and things don't always 
turnout how one expects (to say the least) but we have
hope nonetheless and it is amazing to me that God loves us;
I used to take this more for granted I think, 
not realizing how little I deserved such love... 
***
May you all have a blessed week and the help you need in it!

3 comments:

Elizabethd said...

Your chicken soup sounds very delicious!

Lilly's Mom said...

Your post today conveys such a sweet, warm hearted feeling. The photos of the liturgy are beautiful. Fall is upon us and for me it's a time to be in my home and cook warm meals for the winter. But, as I now live in southern California, winter takes on a whole new meaning. Enjoy your week dear Elizabeth. Pat xx

elizabeth said...

Thank you Elizabethd!!! it turned out really well! And so easy to make, I was really pleased! May God bless you!

Pat ~ thanks so very much! I appreciate your kind words! Yes, winter would have a new meaning without the seasons! God bless you!