Wednesday, March 03, 2021

Tuesday: Woke Up to Sunshine & Roasted a Chicken in the Evening















Sunshine is such a wonderful sight to behold! My Husband asked me to fix his glove, stating that he did all of the plate hanging (2 nights, 1 day of work) and I could do this for him.  It was a fair thing to say.  :)  Then I discovered that his glove has a nearly nickle coin size hold in the centre of the palm of the hand.  We will see if we have a patch that can work.  I was thinking that it was some stitching that had to be fixed but this is a very different type of problem.  

I made the bread for breakfast! I put it on the toast rack (the bread was still steaming hot when I cut the slices) and that really helped it stay dry.  It's a really filling bread and so nice with jam.  I am slowly using up jam that we were given over the years that I never got to before (I have a penchant for raspberry or cherry or apricot jam and some of the ones we were given are of a sweeter fruit).  For the first time in a few years, it feels, I found Smuckers raspberry jam - I had not seen it in 'a coon's age' as they say or used to say.  I have been buying the Bonne Maman raspberry jam but Smuckers is cheaper and for my Husband's birthday cake, next month, perfect.  For toast though you can't beat Bonne Maman, at least on this side of the ocean.  Though I have had some jams, esp cherry, that are good from other sources. 

My Husband is reading through some of Andrew Lang's Fairy Tale books and he found this one yesterday and loved it. It's called the "Story of Wali Dad the Simple-Hearted" from The Brown Fairy Book by Andrew Lang.  It's a fun sweet read and really funny too.  My Husband caught on to how funny it is, I was reading it 'straight' and it was not until he commented on it that I realized how this is.  Now you see why I can miss jokes or that someone was teasing me as I was taking it in as 'Gospel truth' and not thinking about it being funny.  

I posted my review of Sean's new book.  See HERE for the review.  It's such a great story and I can happily recommend it to you! 

I managed to put on the patch for my Husband's glove.  It was easy and the patch I had, from an old sewing box I got for about 6$ at a garage sale has a bunch of them! I called home to be sure to know how to do it; my Dad answered.  He told me that my Grandma used lots of iron on patches when he was a kid and she would sew the edges when it was still hot to be sure it stayed.  I loosely sewed the edges of the ironed on patch and my Husband is happy with it. 

I am very happy to tell you that I found a used copy of Victtoria Cottage by DE Stevenson and it is coming in the mail - I had listened to it on audible but did not own a copy.  And I really wanted to, after reading it.  So that's a happy thing.  I also ordered this book by Flannery O'Connor.  She's a voice I want to have in our personal library.  I think once I get this book, I will have all of her works that are published (letters, stories, novels).  I don't find her to be easy reading, as in she is a bit cryptic, but she is seeing things that a lot of people don't even consider, much less see. 

So I was downright depressed and anxious about some news I heard today.  I am not going to repeat it here.  Lots of praying and discussing and more praying has happened.  

This evening, I made potatoes and I made Marion Cunningham's Rescue Biscuits to go with my roast chicken which I did the same as last time (same herbed oil, same white wine, butter...but I roasted it at 450F for about 1 hour ten minutes).  I got everything (except the skillet I used for the chicken) cleaned up.  Dishwasher filled.  Sewing things all put back away. Tomorrow is laundry.  I am working on more book reviews and trying to get back to my essay edits.  

I have not been keeping up with my 5K steps outside the house but have usually nearly 4K steps and good heart points.  I am doing what I can and hope for better.  My goal is health, getting stronger and not gaining weight.  I already did that, now just trying to stay stable, as I have been for 5ish years now.  

Tomorrow: laundry.  Maybe a bit more house cleaning.  Meals.  I hope for some more writing/editing.  Maybe a bit of goal setting to do.  I also have more letters that are not getting done.  Always more to do.  I am so happy to have ordered those books today.  

May God bless us, protect us and have mercy on us!

3 comments:

Elizabethd said...

You have such busy days!
Would it be possible to put a link to the rescue biscuit recipe please? I have made them before but lost the recipe link.
Letter on its way.

Granny Marigold said...

There's nothing like sunshine to lift one's spirits.
You had another productive day. I didn't really but that's okay because I didn't have much on my to-do list.

Martha said...

That sounds and looks like a good book, so i checked to see if our library has it and 4 copies are ordered, but not available yet.
It's been a difficult year for me with a lot of depressing news that makes me feel anxious, I try to avoid it, little social media, no TV news or radio...but i still hear from my family + friends. Focus on the good, dear Elizabeth, we can do it!