Sunday, March 07, 2021

Meatfare Sunday and Dear Friends Over for Sunday Dinner

















It was so wonderful seeing our dear friends who we
sponsored for their wedding!
We enjoyed a delicious beef roast, 
roasted brussel spouts, roasted cabbage, mashed potatoes
and cheesecake for dessert! 
***
I used this recipe for the beef roast, done in my big crockpot! 
***
I am thinking if I do this meal again,
I want to have some roasted carrots as well. 
***
It's a new adjustment for me as I am trying to work on my 
writing more and that means less time for other things,
including my time for dinner preparations. 
***
I finished the last Miss Read book,
A Peaceful Retirement
and really enjoyed it.
I am working on short reviews for both books of hers that 
I read recently... 
***
Unknown who commented:
YES! I have Miss Clare remembers and have read it!
I think I have all of the Miss Read books now!
I fully understand your tears! 
***
Granny Marigold, you would love both
Changes at Fairacre and A Peaceful Retirement.
I actually prefer the Thrush Green series if I had to choose
however, I have a feeling Miss Read, the author, loved Fairacre more!
They are all such lovely books and such peaceful places to visit!
***
I felt a very strong pang of sadness after our friends left,
they are such special friends to us and
it is hard to say goodbye, even when you know it's a short
visit for them... things change and we fully support
their move, even though we miss them.
They have a chance to build a life together that has a 
lot of things I would have loved to have if I was younger
and in a different situation. 
Thank God for visits and for friendship!
***
I cheered myself up by reading Miss Read's
A Peaceful Retirement later today, which
I finished already as it is a smaller book.
***
Miss Read did a lovely finish,
it's like she helped us say goodbye to the series,
showing hope and care for those we cared about 
in it and having things close in a lovely hopeful way.
She really does us a world of good,
as they say. 
***
And cheering me up further was writing small book reviews
for Miss Read's books. 
And I am glad to get my tables back in order and have my writing 
table again for my Chromebook.
My many years of using my Chromebook on my lap
on the couch are over indeed, as I need to sit 
with better posture or I suffer for it later!
***
I am glad I have my writing.
It helps me in a lot of ways, including
comforting me with the loss of friends that we have
had this past year (losing various local friends to moves etc)
and makes me feel like I am progressing in something.
Progressing towards what I am not sure yet,
but movement of some sort at any rate.
***
Well, I should go. It's early, not yet 11 
but I have not done any of the dishes yet from lunch.
***
I hope you all had a nice day and that it had moments of peace in it!
I am so grateful for today and the peace and beauty
and dear fellowship it had!
****
God bless you all and keep you! 

4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

It's great to know your meal with friends went well although you are sad because they have left again.
About the Miss Read books...I thought I didn't have Changes at Fairacre but now I find that I have The Last Chronicles of Fairacre which has 3 in 1. Changes at Fairacre, Farewell to F. and A Peaceful Retirement. I'm glad I don't have to search for any more.

Lisa Richards said...

The Miss Read books are always so satisfying and peaceful! I'm not sure if I've read them all or not. Seems like a new title keeps popping up and I'm not sure if I've read it. Glad you had a good visit with your friends! The meal sounds delicious!

Martha said...

We also had a festive busy farewell to meat with my mom and my sister who lives nearby and her family of 7 over for homemade pizzas with our fav toppings: bacon + mushroom and ham + pineapple! THAT cheesecake sounds like a great idea....I may stop in and get one at Trader Joe's.

Pilgrim said...

Miss Read loved Thrush Green more, according to her Desert Island Discs interview. :-)