Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Tuesday: Delighted with Sunshine







I am happy to say it's sunny again here! Sunshine really lifts the spirits!  I managed to get the dishes washed before 10 AM this morning.  I did not really want to work on them so it was a relief to get them done.  

I have accomplished some things.  I have an idea of the structure for my newer writing project.  I wrote a card for the wife and husband who are dealing with this ALS diagnosis.   I still need to do a card for my niece who I have stickers for (1 sheet/month) as her birthday gift starting last year.  I feel sleepy and a bit frustrated, like I am just spinning my wheels in a tricky bit of mud without gaining much traction. 

I have an idea to make a lenten red lentil pasta this weekend.  6 more weeks of Great Lent.  Lord have mercy.  We are just beginning to get into the swing of it, with the prayer of St Ephraim the Syrian and readings.  

I am reading Vere H's Few Eggs and No Oranges and it is harrowing reading at times, hard to imagine living in London during WWII and all those bombs!  They even learned to sleep through them, and the warning and all clear sounds... 

My Mom found Vere's book at a University library and is getting it via ILL to her local library.  As a librarian I am very proud of her :) Not that I am surprised of course just happy!

I took a second walk, the first bit with my Husband who walks much faster than my normal tempo and it was invigorating and I felt a bit better. 

I feel this heaviness within me, I think perhaps that it is one year of lockdowns and not knowing what the future holds for us in the US.  I am SO thankful that we are not in full lockdown.   We can go to stores, to church with social distancing, take walks.  But our lives are still so different than before.   Not yet any quick trips to NYC with stores, my library, tea and sympathy.  Not having many over.  It's difficult.  My Husband has worked from home for over a year now.  We, of course, thank God he has his job.  I have a friend in a difficult job-less predicament.  I know of so many suffering.  

I think one of the many reasons WWII in non-fiction and fiction books is in part because of how people survived it and how much courage for just carrying on was displayed.  I see it in the diary I am reading.  

I did a little picture memorial on my public Instagram account HERE of one year in for lockdown and the pandemic.

I found a recipe I hope to do for this weekend.  And I am thinking of baking some things (vegan scones and muffins!) ... my friend Photini's 96 year old Grandfather is overseas in Europe and has the Dread Virus.   Asking prayers for him! 

I've been thinking about what Granny Marigold said about my Grandma and that she would be a neat lady to know.  I agree.  She's a very good and loyal friend to her family and friends.  She has standing dates weekly with family and friends, she bakes usually weekly and shares it with others in her family/friend group, church group, and where she lives.  She prays for many daily.  She's lead Bible Studies at her church for decades, now with her daughter's help, my Aunt M.  She still buys gifts for the great grandkids for Christmas and makes her grandkids a tin of baked goods every year plus baked breads.  She reads interesting and new things.   When she was younger, (into her early 80s) she volunteered at a Christian thrift store and would talk with the workers there that were from a mission that housed them, providing drug and alcohol treatment and I think job help too.  She can talk with any one regardless of who they are.  She cared about those men she saw but was circumspect too as she was a widow and vulnerable.  She has a great sense of personal balance.  She is over 90 years old now and she realizes when she needs a rest.  She is always someone who likes being on-the-go.  She has a busier social life than my parents and I combined :).  But she rests a bit more now.  I can hear that she gets out of breath sometimes.  Her hearing is not what it was.  But she still drives her van.  She used to drive long distances with the motor homes they had years ago (big ones too!).  My Grandpa would do the backing up but she would do all the highway driving.  She does not do much night driving anymore.  When ever I call her, she is always cheerful and says she is doing well.  I know her arthritis and foot problems give her pain but it never stops her.  Actually the other week she was at her niece's house who was having a bad RA day and helped her out!  She keeps in touch with her 4 kids and grandkids as much as she can.  I try to call once a week but don't always manage.  She knows I often call on Friday.  She's taught me so so much and her faith in God and love for others are very encouraging to me.  She was always involved in my life and I thank God for her! 

Well, that's all I have time to write for now.  I pray each of you are well and that God is carrying you through your personal struggles in life.  



2 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Thanks for giving a bit more insight into your wonderful Grandma's life ( and her loving heart). She is definitely a role model for many.
The lamp in the first picture sure is a pretty one.

Martha said...

Yes, the sunshine has been so welcomed and cheers me up! My mom sounds a lot like your grandma. A blessing to have her!