Thursday, October 22, 2020

Thursday: Grey, Air Wet But No Rain (and a Delicious Supper!)


I asked my sister-friend what this means
(it's the tea tag from my tea I had yesterday
from Holland).
For the record...it says
"Was there a day on which you cried of happiness?"
and immediately, I thought of when she asked me
to be the godmother of her third son,
on the weekend that I first met Mr Husband,
who had come to Ottawa to meet me for the first time... :)



There's a new small local grocery store
and I bought eggs from them today and they look promising...
the first one had a nice deep yellow/orange yolk!
I used the first one in the Rescue Biscuits I made for tonight's dinner...
A young Mother was jogging, with a dog I think AND a stroller, if I remember right,
and I called out to her, something to the effect of 'good job, keep it up' and
she said, in the distance, thanks and 'you keep at it too' and it gave
me unexpected encouragement to walk a bit faster... :)



I had a small treat today... :)












Tonight's dinner was in part from the freezer,
some sauce, mushrooms and beef from an earlier Beef Stroganoff 
and I made more cream sauce (added a bit of Worcestershire sauce)...
it needed salt but then was fine, and I would rather 
under-salt than over-salt... 
It was really fun to bake and cook for dinner!
More of the biscuits I think we will have with a good jam on
Saturday for breakfast :) With good strong tea! 
(well at least for me!) :)  
***
I had to fight a bit of the mid-day sadness that sometimes comes; 
the main thing is that I did fight back;
I got busy folding laundry, listening to the last part of 
JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion
and later I went on a walk with Mr Husband... 
***
I did do another book review of a book I started last weekend,
you can see it here.
I have another that DV I will post tomorrow,
on a cookbook memoir...
***
I am back to reading a bit of Elder Sophrony's book
Striving for Knowledge which is so dense with things to think about,
it's a wonderful slow read. 
***
Well, while I am still behind on various things,
I really enjoyed tonight's meal and dishes are caught up
and I am dreaming of Thanksgiving and the table...
I am really thankful for such blessings! 
***
I pray that each one of you, no matter the struggles, 
senses / knows that God cares about the details of your life
and that He is abounding in mercy and abundant in love. 

7 comments:

Gretchen Joanna said...

Have you read The Silmarillion before? I can't help feeling a bit of a lack that I've not read it once.

Pilgrim said...

I read David Steindl-Rast’s _The Music of Silence_, about praying the hours, a few years ago. I was surprised to learn how common that mid-afternoon emotional low point can be, and how the liturgical community equips itself to deal with it.

You are so good at portion control! :-)

elizabeth said...

G-J No I had not read The Silmarillion before! Listening to it on audible has been good!

Yes, Pilgrim it is very common! :) Nice about the book you read !!!

Paula said...

I need to start 'fighting back' more. I feel like I'm losing more often than winning these days.

Granny Marigold said...

I noticed that your Rescue Biscuits call for Cream of Tartar. I normally don't even have this ingredient around but needed some today. Luckily middle son had some for me. I must find out what I can substitute for it ( if it is possible). To my family any biscuit rescues the day!!

Lisa said...

Is that a Danish whisk? I keep seeing them around - I really want to get one.

elizabeth said...

G-M I loved the biscuits so much I bought a backup cream of tartar!

Lisa, yes I think so - I think I've had mine for years - the whisk - I just love it and use it most of the time, my other longer 'normal' whisk usually stays lonely in the cupboard though I did actually use it today to mix up my koek spice cake batter! But the flat whisk is one that I would not want to be without!