Friday, October 23, 2020

Friday: Made It Through (and made a good fast-friendly dinner!)


I posted my review on this book (above) today here!
My Kitchen Year: 136 recipes that saved my life by Ruth Reichl 
was really enjoyable and I encourage you to read my short review of it!
And feel free to join my IG feed!




The sun came out and cheered me up!
Today was another day I had to fight but that is how it is sometimes,
it's just how it is *at that moment* and does not mean
later moments will be the same. 






I made Koek!!
Later I went on a walk...










Something I am thankful for: I made a salad with toppings on it and loved it. 
 (I am not good at eating my veggies...)  ... 
This is what I did to make it... 
 I bought a tomato that was directly from a farm
but it wasn't the deep red perfect tomato 
rather it was a bit hard and part of it was pink!
 However after reading one of the culinary books that I read recently, 
I realized that you can roast a tomato to concentrate the flavor 
and that it would then taste better! 
So I took about a 5th of a red onion, and separated it into thin strips.
I cut up the tomato keeping a skin on. 
I then put olive oil with garlic infused in it 
plus a sprinkle of dried oregano, dried basil, and 
a little bit of red pepper flakes plus salt and pepper.
 I then roasted this in my toaster oven.  (at 425F for about 20 minutes)
Once it was done I put it in a different bowl and put it in the fridge. 
I then sliced up half of an avocado, 
poured a bit of pecan oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. 
I then put that in the fridge. 
I took some of the greens from a box that I had just bought,
 rinsed them, then shook it out the water in the colander 
and then left it to drip and put a Pan lid on top of it and left it.  
Meanwhile the potatoes, (this is the other part of tonight's meal), 
which were cut up into small pieces after being washed and cleaned, 
I sprayed olive oil on and then put trader Joe's garlic salt, garlic powder and onion salt. 
Then I roasted it for probably 30+ minutes on speed convection at 425F. 
Once the potatoes were done I got all the ingredients out of the fridge. 
For the salad,  I put in the greens with the avocado 1st and mixed it. 
 Then I added the roasted tomatoes and onions which were cool by then 
and then we served it! It was really good and 
I'm really pleased and hope to make that meal again sometime!
***
May God have mercy on us and save us!

2 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Roasting tomatoes really brings out their flavour. In winter I buy the cherry tomatoes in a fairly big plastic container and it happens that maybe a third of the container is left and I don't feel like another salad. That's when I cut them in half and roast them much like you roasted yours. Yum.

karen hess jewelry said...

What a delicious meal! Thank you for taking the time to describe your steps. I’m encouraged to roast tomatoes since we are hard pressed to get tasty ones here in southern Arizona.