Friday, October 16, 2020

A New Endeavour and Other Adventures

 


I started a new, public, Instagram account.
It's focus is books I read (and reviews or snippets of them,
whatever suits my fancy and time restraints)
and things I cook and bake... often of course from the
cookbooks I am reading... 
The account is found here and you are invited!
I did my first cookbook review (of Tea and Sympathy!)
and you can read that (in the first 3 comments) here.
It was not the easiest book for me to review,
especially as my Instagram Community is, in general,
more traditional and the memoir in this book is not that.
***
I am reading some fascinating books that I got from my library
and I do look forward to discussing them
(and other books that I happen to own) on this new IG account. 
***
So, about other adventures of today...
I was making a veggie burger for my Husband's lunch
and, just as it was pretty much done,
remembered that we were out of English Muffins.
Lunch was delayed at least 20 minutes while I changed into
outdoor clothes, with rain boots, rain jacket and a Trader Joe's Freezer bag
to go pick up a nice loaf of bread from the small store down the street... 
***
I am dreaming of making the chocolate cake mentioned in the book
I just reviewed but am running into a problem:
I simply don't have enough people locally to easily feed.
I will have to do some thinking on that one.
***
So, the news of the Dread Virus continues to get more dire here in NJ.
We had a great run this summer and it is not surprising
that there is a flare, though I really was hoping for not...
So I have a list of the last-minute things I want more of;
like cans of organic beans if I can get them.
But I know we are really well prepared and we are already OK.
***
That said, I am going to NYC, I hope, God willing, this Monday.
I hope to go to Tea and Sympathy, and before that, Trader Joe's,
and we will see what else... I do plan on going to my library!!!
***
Here is a picture of other library books I already got...
The Asterix books were for my Husband,
who has been reading them and laughing a lot at all
the jokes put in, like a string of great (often historical) puns... 


It's some fun books!!! 
I am having way too much fun with a vintage
cookbook from 1935! 
When I was reading it, I saw, the obvious again:
I am a serious cookbook nerd.
And I love the older cookbooks.


Mr Husband and I walked in the rain...
I am so glad we get out pretty much every day...
***
Today I was a bit lost as to what to cook.
My goodness, it was a fast day and I just had no idea.
And my Husband did not want clams for dinner
so then I was really at sea.
So we had toast and such things; a salad for him...
***
Tomorrow I will finish the Turkey soup... 
***
I hope your day has had some beauty in it,
something to encourage you,
and that God is upholding you 
and giving you strength for today. 
My Grandma always says, 
God promises what we need today,
and tomorrow we needn't worry about...
***
God bless you! 

4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

All 3 of my sons were/are Asterix fans. They have loved those books from the time they could read although many of the jokes went right over their heads.
I hope you get to go to NY on Monday and find all sorts of goodies.

Diana said...

Those book look interesting -- I'm going to be looking them up online! Wow, the trees are so beautiful! I wish the trees could all stay that colorful for much longer than they do. Blessings, dear Elizabeth! ❤️❤️

karen hess jewelry said...

Living in AZ for 43 years I find the season change I miss the most is Autumn. Thank you for posting the pictures of the beautiful trees. What glory! Husband and I keep the Friday Fast and some weeks it’s a challenge. We do like having baked potatoes or waffles and eggs. Have a beautiful week and congratulations on your Instagram account. I love that I now have two places to follow your adventures!

elizabeth said...

Thanks Granny Marigold!!! The Asterix books are so fun!!! :) I hope to get lots of NYC things to love on Monday!!!
Diana, more books to come in the coming days!!!
Karen H J - thanks so much for your post - I am glad that you are following my IG account and Yeah, it really can be a challenge, fast days!!! :) Blessings to you!