Monday, October 19, 2020

NYC: There and Back

Here's the report of my day trip into NYC. 
It was a really good day.
Busy. But I got a lot done.
My heart is full but also has a pang...
how will NYC be after this winter?
Will Tea and Sympathy still be here? 
Will my favourite stores still be there?
I never knew, just how much I loved it all...
Here's my report on today... 



The PATH train into NYC...



(Christmas stuff at Michael's...)



My favourite diner, RIP :'(




(These are the things at TJ Maxx that I did not buy! to see what I did buy, 
go to end of this long blog post :) )










I was struck with how faded and old the awning was... poor NYC... 




(My dear library!!!)


(because I was going from West to East in Manhattan, the cab drove through
Central Park, the above picture is from that)






I had been wanting a smaller cake stand for years!
Got this + the tray at TJ Maxx!
***
Here's a report of my day...:

Thankfulness list.
1. A year ago I had not realized, to the extent I do now, how normal things are really such glorious adventures. I am thankful for a bunch of these today...the first one being point number

2. I went to NYC today! By PATH train.
First time since late February.
I wrote a KN95 mask with a (clean) fabric mask over it.
And plastic gloves.
And, as always, I had my (what you wear when you mow the lawn) big ear protector headphones on.
Husband laughed at me, finding that I looked so funny.
I get it.

3. The PATH train station, at 9:17 AM, was almost empty. I had 2 seats empty on each side of me. SO VERY different than before.

4. I was in NYC. That alone is huge.

5. I went shopping. Trader Joes, Michael's, Blick Art Supplies, TJ Maxx.
6. Then I took a cab to Tea and Sympathy (a British teashop that's like a British Teashop Pub really) and had a most delicious Cornish Pasty. And a salad. And 1 scone with jam, and of course a pot of tea.

7. Later I went to my library in East Manhattan picked up 10 (!) books for me and 2 for my Hubby! (And returned 3 of the 16 I got last week, LOL!)

8. The PATH train home (I took it at 33rd station, a great choice as my cart was loaded down and there was an elevator) I had 1 seat on either side of me empty. It was about 3:30 or a bit later, so it was a fuller train. I doubled-masked again and wore gloves (the gloves I immediately take off from the wrist and throw away in a nearby garbage can). On the way in, only 1 or 2 at most on my train had their nose showing when wearing a mask. On way back, 2 had 'chin guards' and some noses showing. Most people in NYC while walking around outside are wearing masks.

9. I took a cab home (always having my window open for ventilation) and my Husband met me there and helped me bring in all the goodies! :) It was so wonderful to have a shopping and library day in NYC like I used to do. (Well other than that I cabbed when in NYC instead of taking the subway as my Husband wants and I desire also).

10. I am super stocked up on some favourite things in our freezer and am beyond grateful.

NYC, the cab drivers all were saying (I had 5 today in NYC) how different it is,
how empty NYC is and how the business people are gone.
There were still people, but the cab drivers would know; how driving is easier;
one told me how if you went out at the height of lockdown to try to work
by driving cab you would maybe get ONE person wanting a cab ALL DAY.
That's unheard of.
Pretty much every one working in stores now when you leave they may wish you a good day
but they will for SURE say "Stay safe"...
And elevators, they have 'stand here stickers' or signs 'only 4 at one time'
(like NYC elevators, like to the PATH at 33rd, used to be 'let's get as many in as can possibly fit + 5 more people')

.... This won't be forever, but it is right now.
I just told everyone (esp cab drivers)
we must not give up HOPE and hoping for better.
A lot of the cab drivers are concerned about all those out of jobs.
Lord have mercy.
I made a point to go to Tea and Sympathy
(as I have I think 2x before since August)
BECAUSE I want them to stay in business.
My favourite NYC diner
(Ridgeway on 6th Ave near Trader Joe's but on the other side) is gone.
It was such a sweet little dinner, quiet, kind, blond wood tables and chairs,
green padded seats.
I went there so many times.
I wonder what the workers, who I recognized after
visiting there for the last 8 years;
what are they doing now? do they have a new job? are they OK?
So many to remember. To say a prayer.
But I am thankful - I can say a prayer to Christ.... ❤

2 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Oh, you had such a lovely day! I'm glad all worked out so well.

karen hess jewelry said...

What a grand day! Having grown up on Long Island, train trips into NYC for the day we’re always SO special! Blessings,
Karen