Saturday, October 03, 2020

A Peaceful Saturday





















I woke up about 8 AM and realized that I could bake the bread
I did the dough prep for yesterday!
So we had nice warm bread for breakfast with cherry jam!
***
It's funny, I wanted to bake and bake all day... 
I did not, but I wished I could!
***
Our newly married Bride and Groom called us during the second part of our
late lunch and it was so good to hear how they were doing on their 
trip...they arrived safely to TN!
***
I was so pleased at baking bread and later pizza in our new toaster oven!
It's really working wonderfully!
I used my pizza peel (second to last picture) to get the pizza out
and was so pleased at so well it worked!
***
I am thinking of making this simple green bean casserole
(the second recipe) for one of 
the (Canadian) Thanksgiving sides...
I know I would like it... Will have to see what I find at the store...
***
It was good to be in church...
***
I felt my first pang of worry about the dread virus coming back to NJ;
I have been preparing all summer for the possibility...
and our pantry (and 'paper pantry') is well stocked... 
So that's not a huge worry (or should not be for me)
for me it's the fear of a total lockdown again, with
great loneliness. 
But, I have learned some things.
And, for me, I know not for many, summer had a lot of good in it.
Swimming, church, the visit HOME, more church,
the wedding, having some lovely events at our home...
And I feel like we are going to try to do things not better,
but with more, I hope, creativity - and - hope - 
and well, one day at a time.
***
May God bless us, save us and have mercy on us!

 

4 comments:

Pilgrim said...

The Orthodox are fortunate in remembering the history of monasticism that offers so many practices to create forms to pour these times of isolation into, so one does not get bogged down in the slough of despond.

Your toaster oven keeps tempting me, but I have bought so many kitchen appliances I rarely use, that I am holding off. The cold weather always makes me feel more like baking, too. Time for cornbread again.....

Elizabethd said...

Your bread looks so tasty. Have you posted the recipe I wonder? I'd like to try to make it.

elizabeth said...

Pilgrim ~ yes, that is true, about the Orthodox and monasticism. I often listen to parts of the morning services live on youtube at either the Holy Transfiguration in Ellwood City or Holy Dormition in R.J. MI. These not only give me wonderful prayers to listen to but I feel much less alone, esp as I have been to both places. I understand about the toaster oven! We don't have a toaster itself (for years I have used a toaster oven only) and it's probably what I use most - but - everyone and what they use - differs. I have a lovely kitchen aid mixer and I find I use it mostly for cookies now days - as I find I love to stir things and make things by hand if I can. But for big batches of things, I use the mixer. I, for one, don't have an instapot and don't see myself getting one (besides not having room for it!) so it really does depend on what one would use and want! my vintage crock pot, on the other hand, for me, is a 'must have' :)

elizabeth said...

Elizabethd I have posted the recipe before - will try to add it to my next blog post!