Sunday, August 04, 2019

Sunday: thankful for liturgy, post-liturgical-nap, homemade fried chicken with pasta and salad




Liturgy this morning... 


ice cream treat later in afternoon, after much needed nap!







I made fried chicken.
I need to try this again.
I fried it/browned it and then baked in toaster oven.
I think next time I need to try to do it (did the "Maryland version" with
egg and water and then panko bread crumbs) without the water but only the egg mixture.
I found that with some pieces the breading would fall off.  
And the breading burned a bit too easily.
It tasted good though!





I heated up some jarred (tomato) vodka sauce and some mini-linguine noodles
to eat with it, a spinach salad on the side.
It was pretty good! 



I got this basket at a VNA rummage sale over a year ago.
I disinfected this basket also, of course, and the plastic plates, mugs and cutlery
 I sanitized in the dishwasher.
It's not new and while I vacuumed it with our handheld vacuum, 
the wicker is shedding in parts.
So if I find a better one, one day, I will get that.
I have had a dream of having a picnic in Central Park.
I am thinking it may be best to do it when the weather is cooler
and hopefully not as many bugs that bite out... 



Obviously, children need parents and family to raise a child,
but I did find the above drawing to be lovely.


I saw this today, don't know who painted it,
but it's super cute.
(I also don't know the source of the other picture).
I think it is hard to really 'see' oneself... 
or, I think, to understand what is going on... 
***
I am often encouraged by various prayers found in Orthodox prayer books
that speak of God's love for us as sinners.
And I see that part of what Christ wants of us is to see that we are
in need of Christ *because* we are sinners, because we are broken,
because we need healing.  
***
I also like the picture above of the dog's 'self portrait' because 
When I look at pictures of myself, 
it's more 'cute' and 'lovable' that shows through,
not impressive/noticeable/at all forbidding/commanding/etc.
I am so thankful that I have a Husband who at least
helps me see that while I am not going to stand out in a crowd,
I am loved and that is WAY better.
***
I find myself pondering how God loves us.
How we can see one thing and God sees another.
Of course, God wants to take us beyond what we are now;
His call to repentance is clear; to change; but I think of His
patience as we struggle to do that; that He sees us
beyond how we do (including how sinful we are) and He still loves.
How can we find a key for our lives, it seems to be to learn to love,
to love God more than ourselves and to learn to love others 
more like God loves them.
***
May God help us. 



4 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

When I think of frying chicken I think of my mom making chicken for the family dinner, in her big cast iron pan, when I was young. It's a good memory and so delicious! I haven't made it this way in decades. I usually do the oven frying thing with a coating mix. It's funny that frying chicken doesn't really bring back memories of my job at the deli where I fried tons of chicken in big deep fat fryers and hauled 40 lb. boxes of raw chicken around all day. I think my memory of that is suppressed! LOL I did that for 13 years. That looks like a very old cookbook.

The pictures in the church are so beautiful with the sunlight streaming in the windows!

elizabeth said...

Lisa, I would LOVE to hear more about your Mom's fried chicken! How did she make it? That sounds like WONDERFUL memory!!! It's wonderful that you have this memory; the one of working in the deli sounds hard! Yes, I think the cookbook is old, I love it very much! I am working on a blog post about it... for my other blog... Yes, I love that sunlight through those windows! :)

Granny Marigold said...

I have a picnic basket exactly like yours. It came with no dishes but that's okay because I use it for storage. I have another wicker one, more like a small trunk, and the two of them stacked in the corner of the LR look okay and can hold a lot of 'stuff'.
Your chicken looks wonderful ( that's quite a compliment from me, a mostly vegetarian).

GretchenJoanna said...

When I was first in 4-H I took a cooking class taught by the mother of one of my school classmates. The only thing I remember her teaching us was to make fried chicken! Probably because we never had such a dish in my home.

We made the fried chicken and put it in boxes with other things I don't remember, and took them to a box-supper social where the boys would bid on them, not knowing who put them together, and then you ate dinner with that boy. I was only about 11, and I don't think I ever saw that boy again, though I can remember his name. Also pretty sure I never made fried chicken again!

Your chicken looks very appealing, and is making me hungry!! XO