Wednesday, December 09, 2020

Wednesday, a blessing









As it goes, today was better; 
life has lots of little ups and downs... 
I guess the sea of life as it were, waves up and down,
calm days, storm days. 
Well, I made fried potatoes with onion in olive oil; 
I microwaved the potatoes first to be honest, to make it go faster.
We had a leftover smorgasbord for lunch 
and then potatoes fried and a Marsala veggie burger for each of us.
Plus a salad and orange.  I admit, I did not eat a second salad
(I had one for lunch; I am much better at my fruits than 
my vegetables, I admit). 
I saw my friend Y. today briefly outside
and that was really nice.
I am feeling a bit more hopeful about the whole
everyone-has-left feeling.
And that by later Spring I hope things (pandemic wise) will be a lot better.
We must keep up our hope
but at the same time remember that our real hope is found only in Christ.
***
Granny Marigold, I wanted to say I totally get not liking fish.
If a fish smells 'fishy' to me, it turns me off immediately. 
I have learned that I like some sorts of fish, like breaded fish
or fish baked with oil and lemon.
But you know, my friend Photini who hopes DV to come to our 
home for Dec 25 Christmas, she does not like fish either.
Everyone's tastes are different! :) 
I have never, I admit, thought of fasting as a regulation, though I 
understand why you would use that term.
It's just a natural part of preparing for a big Christian feast.
All Christians fasted years ago...
The whole "When you fast" thing...
I don't know my Christian history well enough to be really 
detailed about that, just that I know it was more the norm.
Fasting for an Orthodox Christian in general is being vegan 
but some people, for health reasons, can't fast at all,
or they can only do a partial fast (like no meat but dairy
or no meat no dairy but fish). 
I can say I can see a difference from when I fast and not;
meat can make me more hungry actually; as if my 
appetites were put on a bit of overdrive; and, this one is harder to explain,
but I really feel that meat can make me feel more invincible; 
less aware of my need for God.
(I don't say this meaning that indirectly I am criticizing those who
always eat meat; that would be quite foolish of me, not 
to mention against the reasons we fast at all!!!)
And, of course, you all know if you read my blog regularly that I do eat
meat on days that are non-fast days! And I enjoy it. 
***
Gretchen-Joanna, I know, I am very blessed in who God gave me for a Husband.
Our marriage is a gift to both of us, both of us having not a lot of hope
of finding one who was really so 'right' for the other.
Our marriage is, for sure, a work in progress, as all are, but
we are both very thankful. 
***
I am already thinking of what to have for Dec 25 Christmas!
I am thinking, to keep things simple, of having a tea
(sandwiches, cakes...) but I also hope to have a warm soup...
so still thinking about these things! 
***
Well, it's late.  
I best get to bed. :)
***
God bless you all.
May Christ's peace be in our hearts.
Lord have mercy on us!

1 comment:

Granny Marigold said...

Thank you for responding to my comment. I didn't mean anything negative when I used the word regulation. I was at a loss to find the right word.
I rarely ever eat meat ( haven't since I was very young. It's a texture thing.) So it would be nice to like fish but...
I hope you can have a friend come for Christmas. It's fun to plan what to have.