Monday, December 21, 2020

The cookie idea that made me say "HELLO COOKIE!" :)

 


After reading about sandwich cookies in Tasha Tudor's Cookbook
(in the Christmas section at the back of the book),
I thought of making them.
I told my beloved Husband and he mentioned adding raspberry jam
to the melted chocolate in the middle.
So of course I had to do this!
I used, for the sugar cookie recipe,
the one in the 1945 Boston School of Cooking Cookbook
(before it was called the Fannie Farmer Cookbook in later revisions).
I did not use Tasha's recipe because
1. it called for chilling the dough and
2. rolling it out and using cookie cutters.
While a nice idea, I did not have time for that!
But I know the recipe I did use is incredible!
For the filling, I used up some chocolate wafers,
melting them on a double boiler,
and then adding jam at the end (it thickens it a lot!).
They are now in the freezer, most to share
but a small bag for us (pictured here) is waiting for Christmas!
(we do the January 7 Christmas for this).
***
These three memes make me laugh:







My Husband would say this is my winning strategy LOL :) 
***
I made a double batch of turtle bars and one batch of brownies
(from a mix, time saving!) adding chocolate covered dried cherries.
So my Christmas baking Part 1 is well underway, if not done!
***
I am going early to NYC tomorrow (just a medical checkup thing, nothing exciting).
Next week is my birthday.  Guess what I get to do on my birthday?
Go back to NYC to get a filling fixed (it totally fell out recently).
What is good about this? I am totally DV going to Tea and Sympathy first! :)
And also to Trader Joe's I Hope! (if not just for their vegan samosas LOL!)
***
I wrote this on social media earlier:
I listen to Classic FM on my phone often;
 this is from the UK and is on UK time; 
I always think of England when listening.  
So I heard the news of the virus getting worse and the lockdown.  
I felt so sorry for this.  
But I also thought of how brave England has been in the past, 
during WWII and pray that 
they will not lose heart in this time of discouragement.  
I am also thinking of my beloved folk in Ottawa 
who are facing lockdown again from what I gather. 
And anyone else in this situation! 
❤ May the Lord have mercy on us!!!

1 comment:

Granny Marigold said...

Chocolate and raspberry jam sounds like a great combo. I love both. I agree that rolling out dough and using cookie cutters is a lot of extra work. I must stop baking cookies because I keep getting more ideas! Sorry you have to go for dental work on your birthday. No fun. BUT going to NYC will be. Hopefully you'll come back with loads of treats.