Tuesday, December 29, 2020

44 Years Today...

 




























44th birthday today.
I feels a bit surreal that I am 44.
For a pandemic birthday it was, overall, quite good.
I woke up early (I had an early zoom meeting a bit after 9 AM)
and put on a nice going-to-town outfit, did my makeup,
(I don't wear makeup everyday, more like for special occasions,
though going to NYC usually warrants that every time, LOL) 
and I had a nice cranberry muffin and a new Birthday tea that I had
picked out for myself at the Dutch store in Grand Rapids MI 
back in late summer when we were so BLESSED to visit family...
After the meeting, I went by cab to NYC.
There I went first to TJ Maxx (found some cute clearance priced
stationary and some useful cloth masks with wire by nose and beads to 
adjust the ear elastic, with a little case to keep them in) and then
I went to Marshalls and found not one but TWO very beautiful white 
pottery trays, made in Portugal! I was thrilled.  
I have been looking for some bigger all-white pottery trays for years,
esp for this time of year when my main table is white for Christmas... 
so that was super exciting!  
Then I went to Michael's to get (found made-in-USA!) paper plates for 
dinner (found both dinner and dessert sized!) ... it was my Husband's 
solution to my not doing the dishes...and it made it feel like a party
when we had dinner tonight!
I found two wool beret hats from a Street Vendor 
(I call these items New York Specials) which is great
as I had really wanted a cream one for Christmas time and the one I 
ordered was too small and I did not know that I could get one ordered before
January Christmas... 
Then I cabbed to Tea and Sympathy and had the
vegetarian breakfast and then went shopping at their store...
got some decaf PG Tips black tea, the cutest mug from/made for Whittards, 
a nice new Tea and Sympathy bag and their scone mix... and some other surprises...
Then to Trader Joe's (amazingly got 2 things, a bottle of Kombucha and a bottle
of olive oil as I had opened my last bottle this past week!)...
I then realized that the street vendor may have gloves, and I was hoping to get 
some more as I wanted a second pair for my jean jacket that I often wear 
while walking (I had a thin pair but not a thick pair and kept borrowing
my long wool red jacket's red warm/thick gloves and then not having them
when wearing the red jacket!) ... so that was super great!
Then the dentist... thank God it went really well and I have a nice good
filling in the back again.
It's sore now but was not then and I am so thankful! 
Then I cabbed home,
this time wearing not just a double mask but a face shield as well,
as the car did not have any sort of partition between the driver and myself.
Such is life in a pandemic. 
After this I quickly got the stickers off my two new white pottery trays
and washed them with very hot soapy water so I could use them!
I also washed my new mug so I could use that!
Mr Husband and I had already chosen various take out dishes for
my birthday, his name's day (tomorrow), and some, we hope,
for the day after as well!
So we had a real variety of fun foods to eat tonight and more to try tomorrow!
I video called my sister and niece and they watched me blow out 
my cinnamon roll 'cake' (since I never had time to bake myself one LOL)
and hung out with us while we ate our dinner.
It was super fun.
My newly four year old niece first asked if we lived near Oma and Opa
(my parents) and when she heard we did not, she asked if I could
mail her the rest of the cinnamon rolls in a box... she asked a few times LOL...
She is always very interested in everything I eat and about things in the kitchen... 
I've already gotten her 3 cookbooks :) (for kids)
I am so happy about the beautiful (perfectly creamed coloured) white tray
for my teapot and things... I have some wonderful plastic trays that I love
but they did not match my white Christmas table cloth... so I was thrilled
to finally find ones that did! 
I got surprise birthday gifts of tea, a super cool bookmark and a book,
plus cute poem cards from my Husband and
I got (I choose myself) the Romanian shirt that I hope to wear for Pascha
(or the day after) and also a lovely floral scented candle...and this morning
the tea I had for breakfast... 
Well, that was my day.
Boy am I tired now...and tomorrow I need to find a card for my 
Husband's name's day! I already wrapped a gift, thankfully :)
***
My Mom said it best, 
that it is really important to look for everything we are thankful for.
So while I was not home for my birthday, and my Husband could not join me for lunch,
like he would have if he was working in the City as he used to pre-pandemic, 
I had a really great day and was showered with blessings.
I am so greatful.
***
May God have mercy on us, protect us, help us and save us!

7 comments:

Pilgrim said...

Wow, you had a great day and made quite a haul! I live a few miles from a TJ Maxx, and have only been in briefly twice during the slowdown. Can’t wait to go back and wander at leisure.

It pays to be careful, as you were. I just saw a 41 year old congressman-elect, in Lousiana, has died of the virus—Luke Letlow.
Happy name day to your husband. :-)

Nancy said...

You had a wonderful birthday and I am glad! Can't believe all the good things you found!

God bless you and Mr. Husband in the year to come!


P.S. I don't have a TJ Maxx nearby but do go to Ross's to buy soap. They have lovely scented soaps that smell old fashioned and very feminine. I always avoid the rose and lavender scented ones.

Elizabethd said...

Happy Birthday, dear Elizabeth!
It sounds like you had an enjoyable and productive day in town.We have TKMaxx here too but only a small store.
I hope the rest of your week is happy and blessed.

Lisa Richards said...

Happy birthday! Glad you had such a full and fun day! Such a festive table you set and the cinnamon rolls made a superb birthday "cake"! God bless you and yours! :)

Diana said...

Happy birthday again, dear Elizabeth! Those cinnamon rolls sure make a great birthday cake! So glad to know you had such a wonderful day. I love that you have the tea cup with the Queen on it! Who is the beautiful woman with such a stern expression in the painting with the bulldog? Many blessings and prayers to you and Mr. Husband for a less crazy and more enjoyable 2021! Hugs!

Granny Marigold said...

You sure had a very full (and fun) day. The cinnamon rolls with candles are a great idea and the tray they are on (I'm assuming it's one of the new ones) is absolutely lovely. All the things you found edible and otherwise are great finds.

Paula said...

Happy belated birthday!!! Sorry I missed it. I've been off the internet (mostly) since Christmas. It's been a nice break. Looks like you had a lovely day. Blessings for many more happy years!!!