Saturday, December 26, 2020

Liturgy this morning was really special







Liturgy was so beautiful this morning.
While Christmas is glorious,
there is something really peaceful about
 the just after Christmas-day liturgy.
I have been more deeply thankful for church and
being IN church esp for such holy days and knowing
that not everyone can do so right now because of the ongoing pandemic.
I had a really deep sense, in about the middle of the liturgy,
of just wanting to be right there, where I was, in church,
with the prayers, the beauty, the Bishop visiting, 
everyone.  I am often one who struggles a lot with
thinking about the next thing instead of being present to where I am
so this moment was all the more poignant and special for me. 
It was a really treasured moment.
After liturgy we all visited (wearing masks of course) for a bit
in church and then my friend and I went off to a meal outside
of fish and seafood. 
It was a joy to watch her enjoying her seafood stew and to
just be outside in the sunshine, enjoying the time.
Vespers tonight, beautiful, a bit sad as afterwards they did a short service
for a dear parishioner's brother who just died (yesterday?!) and
it is a really hard time for this and the brother I think is in 
Romania and because of the pandemic, one could not just go over there
easily, so a hard time; and for many I know.
This year I would have been in Michigan for Western Christmas and 
also my birthday.  I can't tell you how thankful I am
that I was able to visit last fall. 
This was a huge help and I am very grateful. 
***
Martha, and everyone who may want to know,
this is the soup recipe for the mushroom soup.
At the end I pureed the soup but took out two 
fistaware teacups full of the mushrooms and put back in 
so that most of the soup was pureed while there was a bit of 
mushroom chunks still in it as a nice way to present the soup.
I got the idea from my friend T. I think who does amazing mushroom soups. 
***
I wrote this earlier on social media:

Bishop Michael was with us for this morning's liturgy and he gave a beautiful sermon about how Jesus' Mother pondered everything in her heart from the Christmas season and because of this had Christmas always in her heart. That for a Christian there is not an after Christmas letdown for we too can keep Christmas in our hearts, the life-changing reality of God with us, giving us the hope, faith and courage we need. He also said that Christmas lasts until Lent and if you know me, you know that I usually keep my Christmas tree until mid-February with the feast of the Meeting of the Lord, the Presentation of Christ in the temple, which is also candlemas. 
***
Well, I am tired and out of steam.  No wonder! :) 
I am so so thankful.
I pray that God is comforting your hearts, no matter what is happening 
in your life right now.
May we make room in our hearts for Christ,
like the stable made room for Christ's birth on Christmas day....

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Merry Christmas, Elizabeth! I'm enjoying the peacefulness that comes right after Christmas. :)

Mary said...

Elizabeth re: your words about Liturgy/being in church: I've always said to my dear priest.."when i step inside for a service,could you lock the door behind me and throw away the key? And let me sleep on a pallet on the floor beneath the steps in the narthex between services?" Just kidding but not really.There's a washroom and coffepot in the hall. All i really need in this life.CHRIST IS BORN!!!!