Monday, October 23, 2017

Monday: busy but with blessings

















So I was going to make that tomato pasta dish for tomorrow,
then I realized that with a medical (routine, no panic or worry) test
any seeds are out and we called and sure enough, even tomato seeds!
So, all of my sauce went into glass jars 2/3rd full and then put in freezer!
Thankfully I know it freezes well! 
****
(I was asked by a dear reader if I had any tips on how to save food...
my Husband is much better and more vigilant in this area than myself. 
(I actually need to figure out how to use the rest of the fresh basil I have in 
the fridge and am not a huge pesto fan!) ... on reflection this is what I would say:
1. try to keep fridge under control so you know what's in it. 
2. think of things to cook/bake that you already have
3. try not to buy (Esp fresh) more than you can make reasonably.
It's something I struggle with, esp. when hit with things like the cold I had 
a month or so ago or when my foot was hurting more than I anticipated.
4.  if you don't think you will get to the food and it can be frozen, then freezing it is a 
good option.)
****
So I switched gears since we are having a friend over for dinner and I found this recipe
that sounds great - will use up the noodles that are already cooked and 
a pasta with cream sauce (and garlic) with chicken sounds just perfect to me
right now... will have a Romaine lettuce salad on the side!
I hope to make this delicious sour cream apple pie
as well, as Mr Husband loved it and said he would like this 
more than the orange cake I was thinking of making (which I do hope to make
but later! It looks and sounds wonderful!)...
****
So today was busy! Figuring out what to serve tomorrow,
getting all the sauce ready to freeze, I made a fast and quick chicken pot pie...
I wrote this earlier about it:
Chicken pot pie: lesson learned, half the biscuits (Pillsbury) as it did not bake evenly.
 ... but the flavour was great! So still a win! 
next time I will half the biscuits as the inside of the biscuits did not fully bake + it was hard to get the inside ingredients hot enough. But it was good!
What I had in it was:
frozen thawed broccoli, cooked chicken, cream gravy. 
Biscuits baking on top, Husband wanted a pie crust bottom.
It tasted great! Just have to tweak the top + leave some openings for better baking 
in the top of this pot pie!
***
I still want to make the vegetable pot pie,
I merely realized that this is a bigger project than I had time for today.
We enjoyed some Junior's Cheesecake from our local grocery store! 
And we watched the very first episode of season 1 of the Waltons! 
It was so nice to do! 
***
I had PT today too! So it was a really busy day today.
I am hoping at least that sleep will be sweet tonight.
God bless you all.
I don't always have time to reply to all comments but PLEASE know that
EACH of them is SUCH a blessing to me and I really appreciate them!
****
PS: I love my spice racks! As I wrote elsewhere today:
One of the many things that I love about my home is my 3 spice racks. 
One wall hanging rack was my Mother's and the other my Oma's (my Mom's Mom), 
and the spinner was a Value Village find in about 2002 or so when I still lived in BC! ♡♡♡

2 comments:

Juliana said...

You can freeze basil too (in non-pesto form). Just run it through the food processor to puree it slightly and freeze in ice cube trays for use later. Just throw it in things as you would fresh (pasta, soup, etc)

You can also dry it by hanging it upside down from a cabinet in your kitchen and use it later that way too. I've done both and they work well.

Lisa Richards said...

It seems like those darned biscuits always get out-of-hand and take over the pot pie! :)