Friday, October 27, 2017

Friday: feels like I had 2 weeks in 1





















Whew. How much has to be crammed into one day,
I sometimes wonder.
Well, the weather finally turned cold.
So this morning I not only did the house-pick up but switched out
my summer and winter clothes; 
they all live on one pole in our bedroom closet, but the clothes
to the right of the pole are much harder to get at and thus are
the clothes that are not in season at that moment. 
Lunch.  Nap.  PT.
Cinnamon Rolls. Made a vegan pasta for dinner;
used my Swedish nut grinder for the first time.
What a dream it was to use!
So easy and fast!
The raw cashews look like Parmesan cheese, newly grated!
So what I did to make this dish.
Chopped 2 large carrots into pieces.
Sauteed about 3 cloves garlic in coconut oil.
Sauteed carrots (still were a bit crunchy) for a good few minutes,
then added 2 chopped large portobello mushrooms,
Sauteed both until mushrooms were soft. 
Set both of these things aside.
Added more coconut oil and some flour to make a roux.
1 can coconut milk, 1 cup vegetable broth,
half cup ground raw cashews,
about half a cup or a bit less nutritional yeast.
Maybe 4 stocks of basil, trimmed and cut.
When it was good a thick,
I added the carrots and mushrooms back.
It was pretty good, though needed a bit of salt. 
I hope to keep experimenting with this and hopefully 
come up with an even better sauce.
I know carrots were not normal to add, but I was trying to 
make something a bit more healthy and use what I had on hand.
It was not our top favourite, but it was still enjoyable
and I look forward to trying more of this sort of thing in the future!
I still have a bit more basil to use up....
***
We watched another Walton's episode; I just love those;
I always feel a bit more courage and hope by watching them.
****
I realized this after I wrote yesterday's post (reposting what I wrote on social media 
last night after I was done with the blog post):

So I got this stone today that says 'courage' as I felt the need for it. I gave it to my Husband saying 'Courage Dear Heart' and later, when I googled that phrase, I realized it is from CS Lewis' Narnia books, the Dawn Treader to precise and that Aslan says it to Lucy. While my Husband does not know why I bought the stone itself, I am so happy for it and for Lewis' words, 'Courage Dear Heart'... (I had already planned on having this stone where is is, next to my Narnia books from my Grandma and now the unknown connection is an even greater blessing to me!)
****
As always, I hope this day
had moments of peace for you.

4 comments:

karen said...

hoping your prayers are answered and your worries are resolved.

Lilly's Mom said...

It's so good to read your post and see that you are gradually getting back to your normal routine. You are quite the gourmet cook! I love hearing about the special things you make and bake. I used to spend a lot of time in my kitchen in my younger years. Now, my husband and I take life at a slower pace and enjoy happy hour at the restaurants now and then. Enjoy your weekend dear friend. Pat xxx

elizabeth said...

Thanks Karen! Some are solved but not all, but one day at a time!

Pat ~ thanks!!! I love cooking and baking! We go to a restaurant sometimes once a week and get left overs! So I do both! :)

Angie said...

I love your commitment to make full use of what you have. It is an inspiration to me. I'm becoming a more dedicated cook these days and I am discovering one has to make a recipie a few times before they get it right.