Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Chicken Ala King

Made a new recipe from one of my
vintage cookbooks.
I had this organic cream to use up
last week.
I decided I really wanted a
creamy chicken.
*
I baked organic chicken thighs for
40 minutes at 350 F.


I followed this recipe,
but did not have mushrooms or green pepper.

Nor sherry.
But I decide to have it over
white basmati rice and it was lovely.
Oh, and I threw in a bit of corn starch when the
cream was cooking in the double boiler...

This cookbook,
I love it.
Found and immediately snatched up at a garage sale
years ago in Michigan...
I love that someone before me used it
and it is loved, stained and well-used.

I was very happy with the results.
I tried it again,
yesterday, with fried mushrooms
and a bit of green pepper.
I had a lot more chicken so I added more milk
and cream... but a little too much I think,
so that it was not a thick.
 
But thankfully the chicken was so moist
I would say it was succulent and
the taste was just right ~
though I still find a dash of salt and pepper
from my salt and pepper mills to make it
that inch towards culinary perfection.
A pleasing result and yet another example of
why it is so wonderful to have vintage cookbooks...

1 comment:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Some of the nicest and simplest recipes are in my old cookery books, aren't they?