Thursday, June 20, 2013

Our Faith @ Home

 
 I've been wanting to write
more on
celebrating the feasts and fasts
and bringing them into our homes.
*
So I am creating a series
for that purpose.
*
I have been blessed to have almost 10 years in the church
and have called 5 churches home in that time
(I started as a student and have moved many times, FYI).
One of the neat things of this is that
I have come to see how the
various ethnic traditions within
Orthodoxy have brought
the feasts and fasts to their homes.
*
I really love how Orthodoxy is flexible
and vast enough to
incorporate many cultures
and really meet these cultures,
respecting them and transforming them.
*
I have been very inspired by monasteries
 I have visited.
I wish my house was as orderly,
clean and prayerful as these!
(For me this will be a life-long effort!)
*
When I was dating Mr. Husband I had a very formative talk
with a very prayerful woman about a family she knew
who brought the feasts into their home
through various liturgical rhythms of the home,
including colours and what one brings to the dinner table.
I saw that in real practical ways we can seek
to bring our Orthodox faith into our homes.
*
I've also deeply loved being at the houses
of Orthodox friends and seen how they
have brought their faith into their home.
*
I have written before of the
couple in my Ottawa parish
whose home I visited a couple years ago
and how my vision of what an Orthodox home
can look like was solidified and
I saw a unity that I desire for my home
with Mr. Husband.
*
One of the things I love about the Orthodox blog
community is how we share our lives and
how we live them.
So I would love to hear from you how
you bring Orthodoxy into your home!
*
I hope my posts can be cheering and
above all that they can point back
to the reason we want to bring
our faith into our homes:
to love and seek our Lord and Saviour
Jesus Christ. 

2 comments:

Peacocks and Sunflowers said...

I love this idea! How typically thoughtful and librarian-ful of you to want to collect and share this kind of knowledge and understanding of our faith and traditions. There's a lovely thread just about traditions on entering & leaving the home at http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=21776.0

elizabeth said...

Thanks Anna! Your encouragement means a lot to me! What a great link!!!