Friday, February 08, 2013

The Bread is Beautiful and the Snow Plentiful

Forgot to mention...
I got the email suggesting our house blessing
be rescheduled for another day.
*
With the amount of snow coming down
and the drive that would have to be done
by many to have this blessing
it is not worth the risk, danger, etc.
*
So we will be rescheduling...
*
Meanwhile,
the bread is baked
and Mr. Husband and I each had 1 slice
hot out of the oven
with raspberry jam!
*
Here it is risen,
unbaked...

I did a new for me thing
and used our pizza stone to bake them on,
with the parchment paper underneath,
and under the pizza stone,
a Pyrex casserole dish with boiling water
in it,
both of which were in the oven when
I turned it one for the 30 minute preheat. 

The parchment paper was a bit too long... :)
But no fires, no burning, no problems! :)

The secret to the golden bread
I mentioned in my first sour dough bread post:
brush the just hot out of the oven
bread with olive oil.
*
Before I did this,
it was a pale pale golden hue. 

I was looking at the bread
freshly baked and was puzzled...
something was different...
*
Then I realized that I had forgotten
to pierce the tops!
Oops...
so this one cracked open,
the other did not...
*
These two loaves were denser
than some of my other sour dough loaves;
but I think that the dough may not of risen as high
during the first rising time...
*
There can be all different factors...
and I read in this blog post
that Gretchen Joanna posted
that weather can influence baking and that
sunny days help the bread rise more...
*
I also used a pizza stone and
had water underneath;
another way to do it,
that I did with the cranberry orange bread,
is to open the oven and spray water in...
So many things to experiment with... 

But still,
the bread was good!

Now I just need a soup to go with it
or another hot dish...
*
If we have power tomorrow,
I am thinking of baking a baked chicken with
milk/cream sauce that I have not
done before...

Meanwhile,
the snow keeps coming down.
 
But we know where our hope is:
our faithful loving Saviour
and Lord
Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Emily H. said...

The bread looks delicious! I hope you're weathering the snow well!