Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Tuesday Findings

Another day of God's mercy.

Wanted to show you my other icon of St. Nicholas;

this one was a chrismation gift as it was at one of St. Nicholas'

churches where I was chrismated;

I remember looking at the icons of the Theotokos and St. Nicholas

during the ceremony...

Today (o.c.) is St. Katherine's Day.

I always figure the two calendar days for each Saint

can loosely be taken to mean their feast is for almost two weeks :)

I was able to be in church for noon prayer today on her day;

a beautiful thing.

And this morning I found an English translation to
which was a great way to start the day!
Dear friends of mine have received mercy through St. Menas' prayers
and I know also of monastics who look for his help.
*
Speaking of Akathists,
I've noticed that my post on
the collecting of Akathists has come up in Google searches...
the librarian in me loves to share -
if there is an Akathist that you can't find online
that I have listed that I do have,
feel free to email me
( roosjeblog @ yahoo . ca )
and I will do what I can.
*
That said,
it is best to remember Fr. Thomas Hopko's advice
to pray as we can and not as we wish we can.
Yes, I may have collected lots of Akathists
but this is not indicative of any spiritual level on my part;
thankfully my spiritual father will not let me fall into such delusions.
:)
*
The job search research and interview preperation continues.
I feel a bit daunted but am trying to press forward.
I am so aware that we all have such huge battles to fight
in our lives.
Whether it is illness, children, pregancy, unemployment, work or family pressures,
we all have real struggles;
if I have learned anything lately it is just how each one
is in a great battle.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

Philo of Alexandria

5 comments:

. said...

We're praying for you as you prepare for your interview! Hope this is the break we've all been praying for you for!

TeresaAngelina said...

Hello Elizabeth, I have the icon of the Lord and the other saint to His right...is that Menas? I'd never known...I really love that icon.

elizabeth said...

Thank you so much Sarah! I really appreciate your prayers!

TA- such a beautiful icon it is!! Yes, it is Saint Menas with Christ; I have The Sayings of the Desert Fathers by Benedicta Ward with this icon on the cover and the back it says of the icon, Christ protecting St. Menas. See this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Sayings-Desert-Fathers-Cistercian-studies/dp/0879079592

I am planning on printing the picture and framing it sometime for an icon myself! (a very affordable way to make a 4x6 icon, print for about .30 cents and then a good wood dollar store frame for 1.50 or so and tada, icon! :) )

I am so glad you have this icon; that makes me happy. Glad I was able help you identify it.

TeresaAngelina said...

Thank you, Elizabeth! The icon was given to me some years ago but the giver also did not know who the saint was. I am so glad you knew! I will certainly look at the link too. Many thanks!

elizabeth said...

TA - yay!! I am so happy I was able to help! It feels so good to do this! The book that the the icon is one, that I linked to, is really lovely, just in case you do not have it in your collection already. I think the book would be quite dear to your heart...

may the prayers of St. Menas help us!