Friday, February 18, 2011

Prayers for my friend Mara

(Icon of the Extreme Humility)
I came home after a good day at work
and a grocery run
(took a while to walk home, with all the bags)
to get an email from my dear friend Mara's parents.
*
My friend Mara
(named for privacy after Naomi)
is in hospital.
Her story is not mine, so I cannot really tell it here.
But please pray for her.
I am at a loss at how to help other than to ask all
I can for prayers, which is what her parents asked of me.
I did not realize the extent of her struggle
until she called unwell in the middle of the night a few weeks back.
*
I know this is a call for me to learn to love;
Mara has been one of my close friends for over ten years;
right now she needs friends and cannot fully
be present to me in the way she usually can be.
So I need to learn to love a friend without expecting the normal
'friend love' in return.
I thank God for His mercy and long suffering towards myself
and ask for prayers that I will learn how to love
in this situation.
It has been so strange for often I find myself wanting to
tell Mara about what is happening
but it is to her that it is happening;
I guess I feel a bit of grief in this; for now I need to be a friend to Mara
even though in a way she feels lost to me
in the friend she once could be in return.
*
Thank God for His mercy.
*
Christ loved us without anything in return;
His disciples feel asleep when Christ asked them to
watch with Him in His night in Gethsemane.
*
Mara is going through her own night right now;
I pray that I may be found awake
and at prayer.
Thank God lent is coming.
I ask your continued prayers for Mara,
whose presence has graced my life for over 13* years now.
*over 13 years is over 1/3 of my life

7 comments:

. said...

One of my favorite fictional books is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. The main heroine is nicknamed Mara in her time of struggle, but she eventually overcomes with faith and perseverance. I'll pray the same for your friend, Mara.

E Helena E said...

Lord have mercy! Continued prayers.

ttownelizabeth said...

Praying for your friend.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Praying for Mara and for you.

margaret said...

Prayers for Mara.

Michelle M. said...

Praying for Mara. I am so sorry that your friend is going through this. I know how it feels to hurt along with our friends. I will pray for strength for you as well as you are there for her during this time.

Beth said...

Continued prayers for Mara.