Thursday, October 08, 2009

Remembering Summer...Thanksgiving is almost here

Thanksgiving is almost here in Canada.

Every year I hear from Americans about how early it is in Canada

and from Canadians how late Americans do it.

Needless to say,

I feel the holiday in the air and am happy for it.

Meanwhile I am remembering the summer;

I think I will always remember my last two summers as transitional summers.

Last year I was in bed with a twice fractured infected foot.

This year I took was unemployed, took walks

and tried to figure out what to do next.

Sometimes it has been lonely

sometimes full.

Such is life.

I do not know yet what I am transitioning towards
but I pray that it will be for my salvation.
I have new dreams;
I have hopes again for another apartment;
I still have my Cat.
God is with me.
With this I must be content.

3 comments:

margaret said...

I love the iris bud. I think Canadian thanksgiving is somehow more sensible - there's a lot of good edibles to be thankful for at this time of year.

I too am glad you still have your cat. There have been times this past year I would have been so dreadfully unhappy without a wee furry to stroke and talk to.

RW said...

enjoy your weekend E.

I am off to work soon - my children have a pro D day so they are still sleeping and we are expecting a houseful of 14/15 year olds tonight.

should be fun.

elizabeth said...

Thanks Margaret!

Yes, it may be more sensible but it always feels a bit less real to me than the American one. Partly because in the States Thanksgiving is a really big holiday and here it is a lot smaller; sometimes here it just seems like something people do... that said I am looking forward to it and know that as Christians we have a lot to be thankful for!

thanks RW, I will seek to do so! Hope the evening goes well.