Thursday, October 18, 2012

Thursday Night Dinner ~ Baked Ziti


I used my vegetarian cookbook
for the first time today.
*
Baked Ziti.


1 lb pasta

Sauteed a large onion and
an over sized garlic clove
in lots of butter.

Cleaned and chopped
lots of mushrooms.


After the garlic and onion was soft
(I melted the butter and then put
my iron skillet on the lowest flame
while I prepared other things)
I cooked down the mushrooms,
keeping the flame on low and
putting the skillet lid on.


I added a large can of tomatoes
and previously fresh basil that I had frozen
and chopped up both.

I simmered the sauce
with the onions and mushrooms in the pan
while I boiled the Pasta.
*
The oven should be at 400 degrees F.

When the noodles were almost done
but not quite,
I drained them
and placed about half of them in a long
glass 9x13 pan.
Then put half the skillet sauce on top
and then Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
Then layered with more noodles, sauce and cheese.
I added freshly ground pepper and salt.
*
I used up a smaller amount in a smaller
casserole dish and added some
fresh pepperoni that we got at a local deli.
*
Baked both for 20 minutes,
thankfully my oven is large and could fit both!

They turned out well!
 
We ate some of the pepperoni one
for dinner tonight.
It was nice and had a good tang to it!