Thursday, January 23, 2020

(150) A quiet good day











I knew this present from my mom, for my birthday, 
was going to be coming to me in the nearish future! I have been so excited for it! 
My mom made me chocolate revel bars which are my favorite! 
She also included some special surprises, a really nice card 
and the chocolate revel bars were in two really cute tins! 
My husband has started to call them Reval bars 
and then went on to call them Boléro bars. Do you get his joke?
 The composer Reval composed a piece called Boléro that is fairly well known! 
I made my mom laugh, earlier, when she told me she made these for me because 
I immediately said "move over Godiva!" 
(I had just ordered Godiva chocolate and of course she knew that).
Seriously though, my Mom's Chocolate Revel bars will ALWAYS be at
the top of my most treasured treats list and that means Godiva is only
a second or third choice :)
All of the bars, save the one I ate tonight, are in the freezer so they stay fresh!
My Mom had them in the freezer before she mailed them and 
I was amazed at how fresh my bar today tasted! As if they were just made yesterday!
The Simplicity fashion tin is neat as it is the same month and year that my Aunt Henny 
was born and I believe this was her tin to begin with! 
I was so excited for this package, and concerned about something going wrong,
that I must admit I prayed about it coming safely different times!
I am so glad God does not mind such prayers. :)








I had some sausage in the freezer and
 I'm trying to use up food instead of buying more 
before using up things that are in been in the freezer! 
The sausage has been in the freezer for a few years but it was totally fine! 
So I cut it up and I removed the casing of the sausage. 
I use some margarine because it was not vegan and needed using.... 
I fried a leftover onion that had been in the fridge 
because it had been peeled and 1/2 of it used ...
 sauteed this in the margarine with a bit of garlic infused olive oil
 After the onion had caramelized, 
I put the sausage and and cooked that for quite a while. 
Then I took that off the heat and made a white sauce. 
When the white sauce was thickened, 
I added it to the onion and sausage. 
I had some already cooked penne noodles and added that 
and it became an instant dinner! It was pretty good and also economical!





 We watched a Christmas movie tonight! 
And had popcorn. And I had a delicious mandarin orange 
and a chocolate revel bar. Felt super nostalgic and like Christmas... 
***
Thanks everyone for your comments about my post yesterday. 
I felt that I really wanted to write it, to remember
how to get out of that struggle (anxiety) and perhaps 
encourage others who, like myself, struggle this way.
***
I had a good conversation today that included the idea of 
life not having one big over-arching theme/purpose but 
that the "smaller" things ARE my life and purpose.
More to think about but it was a really helpful thought to me. 
***
My Grandma Ruth as a minor surgery tomorrow.
Please pray for her. 
I love her SO very much!
***
May God have mercy on us all!

5 comments:

Elizabethd said...

What a delightful present from your mother, she knows you well, I think!

Mary said...

Would you be so kind as to share your mom's recipe for the chocolate Revel bars? I have a feeling there are multitudes of us, who live in chocolate nirvana- who'd love to get our hands on it!!!! Thank you dear. And God grant you many, many years!!!!

Mat. Anna said...

Many years!

What a lovely birthday package! Your dinner of made-over leftovers sounds good and I agree that it’s so satisfying to use things up and have them be enjoyable.May God bless your grandmother and grant her healing of soul and body!

Lisa said...

I've never heard of Revel bars - I'll have to look them up! (I have heard of Ravel's Bolero, though :D) Your dinner sounds good, and it's a good feeling to have a success with one's own inventions in the kitchen. :)

GretchenJoanna said...

Happy Birthday, Elizabeth! Many Years!