Saturday, December 15, 2018

Twice double batch of brownie cookies, vespers, dinner date and home-tending




It can feel so lovely and good to meet goals,
including baking, if I am talking about my week and life...
Brownie Cookies, done and in the freezer! 
I did the math some years ago to make this 
recipe quadrupled, which makes 2 full gallon freezer bags full.
We enjoyed 2 still warm from the oven! 


I am almost done with this soup now... 


All of these cookies are in the garage freezer now! 
I have it on the calendar to take them back out Monday afternoon,
so that they are all bagged up for St Nicholas day morning.
For now, they are staying as fresh as possible in the freezer... 







It was wonderful to be in church.
It is such a gift to have God in one's life.
God the Father, protecting us
God the Son Jesus Christ with us forever, coming to be with us
in such humility, as baby, beginning our salvation, being willing to 
be WITH us, as we are, and wanting to bring us to a greater
wholeness by cleaning and bandaging us...
The Holy Spirit giving us life...hope...protection...
and the Church to be that Beacon of Light in a world
that has increasing confusion and brokenness...
what a wonderful gift it is to belong to God and to be able to go to Church!!! 
After vespers, we went to the dinner for a dinner date.


I love Christmas decorations and the diner is no exception.
It was so nice NOT to have to make dinner or wash dishes!
I got most of the dishes washed from today when we returned,
other than the cookie racks. 
That will wait until tomorrow! Plus some big jars I am going to put, DV, 
in the dishwasher! :) 
We are staying local tomorrow which is nice
(we will be at our far-away church very soon for St Nicholas day!)
I am very glad for the chance to rest...


This is the new duvet cover I got from IKEA along with the comforter.
I washed it tonight. 
Made in Bangladesh. 
A very poor country, but growing from what I understand.
 So much of what we have now days is from
places that have a lot less than I do, or many of my readers here.... 
I try to pray everyday for those who are impacting our lives
by what we use and perhaps take for granted. 


 I feel like I am looking at my life and home from new
grateful eyes, in part because I feel very struck with how
so many are not living in homes as they wish, 
rented or bought, and how having our condo 
(which is as nice as a flat in Europe in my mind) and our pantry,
I can't tell you how much having a stocked pantry means to me. 
I remember when it was hard for me to buy groceries,
years ago, when I was looking for work, interviewing at many
professional level jobs but not landing any of them,
and that having a stocked pantry, not to mention
beautiful things, dishes, more than enough clothes, 
warm blankets and food for all of us,
including Cleo...
well, it's a lot to be thankful for. 
Here's a picture of Cleo on the box
that has a music stand in it,
that is for our Munchkin as one of his 
St Nicholas presents... 
DV (God willing) we will see them on St Nicholas Eve!


And with this, I must leave you for tonight.
I am going to have a lot of family and friends visits soon
and may not be blogging as much, when Christmas comes to town,
but we will see what I am able to do!
***
Monday is house cleaning and I hope tea making!
***
May God be with us all and have mercy!!! 

9 comments:

Lisa said...

What a nice thing for you to pray for those who impact your life!

GretchenJoanna said...

Blessed Lord's Day to you! How satisfying to get all that baking done :-)

Pom Pom said...

I appreciate each post and I hope you don't feel any pressure to post if sweet LIFE does not allow.
I love your grateful heart! I am so very grateful, too. I shall be baking today. FUN!
I'm coming to your house for a brownie on Monday afternoon. Wish.

Farm Girl said...

What a lovely evening. Life is to be lived. Have a lovely week.

Granny Marigold said...

What a good idea it is to quadruple a favourite cookie recipe so there are lost to share!!
Be blessed as you continue to get ready for Christmas.

Becki said...

I've been thinking about how to feel, behave, what do do regarding a growing knowledge that so much of what we have comes from poor countries where workers have poor working conditions. You have given me some food for thought recently on your blog, Elizabeth, and indeed I can pray for them. And to consider carefully what it means to not be a careless consumer. And such a fitting time of year to think about such things.

Your hospitality warms hearts - not only those you open your home to, but readers of your blog pages. Enjoy your days of preparation and celebration! :)

elizabeth said...

Thanks Lisa!
Thanks so much G-J! I hope you had a nice day today!
Thanks Pom Pom!!! I wish you were coming on Monday! :) I would give you a nice cup of tea to go with those cookies!
Farm Girl - yes and thank you!
Granny Marigold - thanks!!! much appreciated!
Becki - I am still thinking on it myself. Thanks again! I am glad that you enjoy my blog! That's a blessing to me!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

I enjoy reading about all your preparations! You are certainly one busy lady. Wishing you and your husband a blessed Nativity and thank you so much for all you share here and for your encouragement over the years to me as I was looking at the Orthodox faith and then converting. You have been a gift in my life and a blessing.

elizabeth said...

Sara, WOW! I did not know that I gave encouragement to you, what a blessing for me to hear this, seriously, thank you. Thanks for 'seeing me' and that I am busy (for I am odd man out, as it were, here, for not having paid work... I tell everyone now that "I do everything BUT paid work"! I am very blessed to be able to do the things I do for others because of my situation as a homemaker!) We wish you and yours a blessed Nativity also!!! You are a blessing in my life!!!