Wednesday, December 05, 2018

St Nicholas Day Eve (Part 1)



Today was spent getting ready for tomorrow's lunch,
including baking a cake, lots of dishes washed, getting out the
bowls and platters for food...and doing the cookie bags!
I love giving cookies away for St Nicholas day! 
DV lots more pictures tomorrow! :)
***
St Nicholas day vespers was lovely.
My Husband exceptionally had to work late and was not with me.
I missed him. 
But we plan on both vigil and liturgy for St Nicholas day 
on the 19th at our far-away church, so that's lovely.
***
I have heard of so many dear ones with either very sick
or recently reposed loved ones.
Our prayer list grows 
but we hope also our love grows, even if imperceptible. 
***
I love St Nicholas so very much.
***
May God have mercy on each of us and help us
in the many struggles that we face.
May He comfort our hearts
and carry us through....
***
"But now, this is what the Lord says—
    he who created you, Jacob,
    he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.
3 For I am the Lord your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
    Cush and Seba in your stead.
4 Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
    and because I love you,
I will give people in exchange for you,
    nations in exchange for your life.
5 Do not be afraid, for I am with you;
    I will bring your children from the east
    and gather you from the west.
6 I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’
    and to the south, ‘Do not hold them back.’
Bring my sons from afar
    and my daughters from the ends of the earth—
7 everyone who is called by my name,
    whom I created for my glory,
    whom I formed and made.”
italics are mine.

4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Beautiful words from Isaiah. Your dining room looks lovely.

Pom Pom said...

Lovely scripture, Elizabeth!
I pray your lunch is WONDERFUL!

Lisa said...

I'm always surprised when your religious holidays are the same as mine. :) It isn't usually the case!

elizabeth said...

Thanks Granny Marigold!
Thanks Pom Pom, it WAS!!!!
Lisa - ha! yes... actually it's PART 1 because we will have ST Nicholas day again on the Julian calendar... some of the Orthodox churches went to a revised Julian calendar, meaning that many dates are with the Western Christian calendar, including this one, Christmas, Annunciation and others.