Tuesday, December 11, 2018


Miss Read, it's been so busy, that I have not been reading. I've missed you! 


(Wrote this on social media this AM):
Do you see Cleo? She had stomach upset before I was up *on the couch where I sit* and let's just say I have laundry to do and that she did not get her morning treat! In this picture she is "begging".... I love her, but that was not OK! Sigh. She is still by me, waiting. .... oh Cleo!!!! 
***
Needless to say, she did not get a treat this morning! 
She seems better now and I gave her a small treat this afternoon...


This, if you are interested in dishes, is the goblet I ordered 6 more of from IKEA.
I hope they come on time. I don't have any tracking/shipping info yet...
They are made in France and I quite love them.


I lit a tealight on the incense burner and it smells, quite literally, heavenly.




I went to the mall with one of my friends!
We had a nice lunch together and went shopping...
I found what I hope will be good socks for my Sweetie.
Maybe not the most 'exciting' thing (though I was always happy 
if I was given new socks!) but they were needed and I hope
the mostly cotton with some nylon and NO polyester will be a good
option... I am planning on giving him one pair set next week for 
St Nicholas day so he can try them out... 
I also got...


I love these comfortable warmth producing layers!
The thin 'silky' ones are modal which is a type of rayon.
When I googled the word 'modal' it says that it wicks really well
and does not retain moisture. I think that is true in my experience.
I really like this brand though I was sad to see they were made in China;
I have nothing against China, in that it has a very illustrious history,
hundreds of years longer, I believe, in known history than much of ours.
But my understanding of the suffering, great poverty and poor conditions of many
makes me wish to buy from other places if I can.
I have had and have various Chinese friends who I value very much,
so it's not that I have a dislike of the actual persons of China as much as I know
that the hands that made my garments may be suffering a lot.
But a lot of new things are made in countries where one does not know
the conditions of the workers and that is really difficult.
I don't feel that I can find everything I wear at thrift stores
and well, I buy new at times, and don't really see another way to go about that;
esp. as I don't have time to sew all of my own clothes, etc.
So I try to pray for the hands of those who made my clothes,
to not just think of my clothes as 'mine' without a history but that 
men and women made it, possible with suffering and a poor wage.
So prayer is the only way I know that I can feasibly repay them for making 
things for me to wear that bless me so much in terms of 
staying warm, comfortable and in modest clothes that I find delightful. 


I wrote this also earlier on social media...
"So, I went to the mall with a friend. ... 
bought some new fleece and silk like liners for extra warmth, 
got home and realized, when talking to my Mom, 
that I bought the wrong size. So I went back. 
Meanwhile I tried my new lip butter, my lips had been painfully cracked 
and the minute I used it, they were so MUCH better, like no more pain better. 
So I went back, the store was honouring website prices/sales 
so the lip butters were 3$ each. I went to buy them, 
they put in my rewards info and I got 10$ more off!
 So these cost 7$ ! YAY! And my lips are finally feeling better!"
I am really relieved.
I was using everything I had at home and nothing was helping
so very happy about this...


Cleo missed me while I was away from about 11 AM - 5 PM with a bit of time
at home between mall trips ... she is sitting on my lap here :)
***
We are reading Tolkien's letters out loud before bed and really enjoying them!


The one above we found to be so delightfully funny!


The word 'crassitude" seems so perfect to describe what
can be either very difficult or that which is very dreary and perhaps dirty.
Just seems to be a good word to describe some things on this fallen planet of ours. 
This letter Tolkien is writing to his son Christopher who was then
in South Africa during WWII.
***
I can't tell you how delightful we are finding Tolkien's letters.
His fine use of words and language, his deeply Christian sensibilities and perceptions,
the beauty of his writing, the pathos and suffering he has as well.
Often I will finish reading them out loud for the night and
we will be feeling a mixture of deep appreciation, awe and delight at his writing.
My Husband said he finds these minutes of my reading to be very comforting
and I think, by what he said, a source of light in what is often
hard days for him, for us, in terms of what we are still in ourselves.
But OH! do Tolkien's letters feed us with delight... and to read about his writing 
of the Hobbit and then Lord of the Rings.... 
We share a great love of his books....
***
So, now the mall shopping is done.
I got Mr Husband some gifts and got a few other gifts as well...
Tomorrow I have to decide if I am going to wrap presents, bake
or both.  .... Mr. Husband helped me fold the mountain of clean laundry
that always goes so much faster when two people tackle it!
I have more laundry clean and drying now (on drying racks) and tomorrow
I have one more load to do and then I will be caught up again,
so this is a relief also... 
It's astounding to me how quickly we can run out of things like
clean clothes, though the new things I bought for myself and Mr Husband will
help a bit in this regard... 
***
Well... tomorrow Mr Husband works from home
and I am so glad to have him home.
I am really hoping to get more done...
I am still waiting to confirm with my friend about NYC Thursday afternoon.
One thing and day at a time, right?
***
I pray that no matter what you are facing, 
that you are facing it with the comfort of God's mercy
that is ready to carry us...

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Glad Cleo is OK... upset tummies happen, and they often happen on the furniture don't they? :/ LOL... Glad is is OK, though! Good socks are a great gift, I think! ;) All the winter warmers make good gifts. That warming tunic top looks wonderful! I feel as you do about products made in China. Not always easy to avoid all the time, when sooo much is produced there. Those lip butters sound so good for this cold time of year. I must try those, as I'm always on the hunt for the lip-thing that really works in winter... LOL! I have chronically dry lips and skin in winter. :/ My hubby would love the Tolkien letters. Wishing happy moments in the lead up to Christmas! And God Bless you both... :))) ((HUGS))