Monday, December 03, 2018

Paper Angels and the Message of Job


I rewatched the movie Paper Angels, 
I really like it. Encouraging.
So I had another good talk today.
Here was the advice, 
from someone who lives it and has suffered...
We have to remember Job and how he lost everything
and still praised God, still rejoiced...
we need to be still with God and wait for His timing,
for His miracle,
which may come when we feel like we can't go on any longer.
And I was reminded of how God has helped me in the past
when I was in real trouble and that in our time of
trouble now, He promises to never leave us.
***
In other news, 
the dishes I ordered did not come yet and may be lost.
I will know more hopefully within a few days.
I was reminded that during the holiday time, 
things may be a bit backed up.
So I am thinking I may need to do my blue and white dishes
and alternate them instead of my Grandma's set for this Thursday lunch.
We will see.  
I am trying to learn the art of taking it as it comes
and that it can be good as long as I keep it 
simple and enjoy it.
I was challenged to remember that sometimes I make
things too big a project for me to do without stress.
So, trying to have this meal on Thursday be a thing of joy
and simple.  This is hard for me to do and something I need to 
recapture, as I had it in Ottawa and was very happy in it.
So it goes.
***
No matter what, I see that I am called to be thankful,
to rejoice, even when things only seem to go wrong.
And I realize that a lot is still going right for me
and that I am very blessed.
Somehow to be like Job is to 
do what Jan Karon writes of, and fly lightly,
light a butterfly... 

6 comments:

shoreacres said...

I didn't realize I'd stopped getting emails about your posts. It could have been my error somehow -- but now I've rectified the situation. A blessed day to you!

Becki said...

Your post today makes me think... As we've been slowly entering this new stage of life we're finally in (once again, just dh and I), I have thought often of how simple the years were early in our marriage On some level, finances dictated the simplicity, but it's also true that simple (even spontaneous) socializing is more true to who we are. Those memories are filled with happy times with friends, eating simple meals (or even just snacks), playing simple games. We can never truly "go back", but I'm trying to incorporate that simplicity back into our lives. Not always easy because even at our age everyone still seems to be busy, busy, busy... Slowing down, eliminating unnecessary activity and stuff has to be intentional now... Okay, I'm rambling a bit. You just got my thinker working this morning.

Pom Pom said...

I know what you mean, that feeling of stress and anxiety that comes from anticipating guests and wanting everything to be wonderful. I think I'd have people in a lot more often if I didn't feel compelled to have everything just right. I know this but it's hard to get by.
Prayers for the current troubles.

Farm Girl said...

I think we must like the same books. I am reading Jan Karon and Shepherd's Abiding.
I love your thoughts and you make me think. I am so glad to have met you through dear Pom Pom. I love your thoughts.

Lisa Richards said...

My step-son in Maryland sent me a birthday package a couple of weeks ago and it seems to have gone astray. I hope we both receive our goods in time! :) I love keeping things as simple as possible. Every once in a while I have to declutter. I think I'm due for another decluttering! Since I'm moving soon this is a good time.

Lisa said...

Yes, the story of Job is a wonderful one - amazing.